- Review Grouper introductory/overview documentation, including the glossary.
- The "Grouper Training for Managers" video series provides an overview of both access management at large, as well as Grouper's core concepts and features
- Review the TIER Grouper Deployment Guide (as of October 2019, being updated on the wiki here)
- Imagine how you expect Grouper to fit into your identity and application architecture
- Check out the Grouper Demo
- Install Grouper in a test environment to familiarize yourself with Grouper.
- What database (existing or new) will form your Grouper database repository?
- What database (existing) will provide you with subject data
- Do you plan to replicate groups data out to LDAP or some other database? (for LDAP, see this training video)
- Do you plan to automate groups management (for some or all groups) based on one or more data sources (and using the Grouper Loader)?
- Should you use just an application server or an application server + web server to enable web access?
- Which interfaces to groups data do plan to initially implement and support? Web browser access? Web services access? Grouper shell access? How do you expect end-users and applications to interface for read-only and for read-write purposes to groups data? See this training video on integration
- Security considerations (e.g. wheel group, externalizing and encrypting database/ldap passwords)
- How will you structure configuration files?
II - Installation, Testing, Rollout