Performance Working Group Wiki
Welcome to the Performance Working Group.
Co-Chairs: Carla Hunt <carla[at]mcnc.org> and Chris Hawkinson <chawkinson [at] cenic.org>
Internet2 Liason: Jeff Boote <boote[at]internet2.edu>
Wiki and Mailing List
wiki: For the ability to create wiki content, please follow these instructions: Introduction to Spaces
After you login for the first time, please double check your profile and make sure it contains a valid e-mail address.
Mailing List: performance-wg[at]internet2.edu
To Subscribe: https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/subrequest/performance-wg
Performance Working Group at Internet2 2011 Fall Member Meeting in Raleigh
Tuesday, Oct 4, 2011, 7:30am - 8:30 am
Internet2 Update --- Jeff Boote, Internet2
- General update on Internet2 staff efforts in network performance space
Fiber Asset Management Software -- Carla Hunt, MCNC
- In November 2010, MCNC, an independent 501 c3 nonprofit that operates the North Carolina Research and Education Network, issued an RFP for identifying an appropriate vendor to supply fiber asset management and mapping software to be used to document and manage existing and planned Outside Plant (OSP), allowing MCNC to accurately document the location and status of fiber assets in North Carolina that are being acquired as a result of the Broadband Technology and Opportunities Program (BTOP). Carla Hunt from MCNC will describe the process for developing the RFP and evaluating vendor offerings.
ESnet Distributed Help Desk -- Brian Tierney or Phil DeMar, ESnet
- The E-Center Network Weather & Performance Monitor is a project whose goal is to provide a single location for researchers to obtain detailed network path information of interest, and seek assistance with related concerns. This talk will describe the project, and detail its progress so far.
Periscope Presentation -- Martin Swany, University of Delaware
- Periscope Presentation Abstract: Measurement is critical for understanding system performance, but it is often difficult in distributed environments. This talk describes a framework called Periscope that extends and integrates existing perfSONAR, XSP and NetLogger systems to provide end-to-end, activity-specific measurements that can potentially handle all relevant performance data for a given user's activity in a distributed system.
IPv6, backbone measurements, and Netflow -- Matt Zekauskas, Internet2
- This short presentation will highlight the IPv6 measurements on the Internet2 backbone, and the recent addition of flow data.
Issues around Buffer Bloat - Jim Warner, UC Santa Cruz
- Buffering by network switches can cause excessive delay in packet delivery which can have negative consequences for latency sensitive applications such as VoIP. This phenomena, dubbed bufferbloat, has recently garnered widespread attention in the popular press. Members of the R+E community will discuss the challenges in handling bufferbloat in their networks.
Invitation to Join Performance Working Group
Read DRAFT Internet2 IPv6 Netflow Anonymization Policy, July 2009
Joint Techs 12-July-11 (Fairbanks, AK)
Spring Member Meeting 20-April-11 (Arlington, VA)
Joint Techs, 31-Jan-2011 (Clemson, SC)
Joint Techs, 12-July-2010 (Columbus, OH)
Spring Member Meeting 26-April-10 (Arlington, VA)
Joint Techs, 2-Feb-2010 (Salt Lake City)
Fall Member Meeting 5-Oct-09 (San Antonio, TX)
Joint Techs, 20-July-09 (Indianapolis)
Working Group Call 22-June-09
Spring Member Meeting, 27-Apr-09 (Arlington, VA)
Working Group Call, 23-Mar-09
Working Group Call 23-Feb-09
Joint Techs, Feb, 2009 (College Station)
Working Group Call 12-Jan-09
Working Group Call 15-Dec-08
Working Group Call 24-Nov-08
Fall Member Meeting, October 2008 (New Orleans)
Joint Techs, July 2008 (Lincoln)
Working Group Documents/Presentations
How should an active measurement service operate within an experimenter's slice (encompassing Internet2 backbone resources) in the GENI facility? , by Prasad Calyam, Ohio Supercomputing Center, Feb. 2010
PRESTA 10G, a 10Gbps network interface card (NIC) with highly-accurate traffic-measurement capabilities , by Katsuhiro Sebayashi, NTT Network Innovation Labs, Feb. 2010
Development of Measurement Archive (MA) capability for PRESTA 10G that is compatible with the perfSonar measurement infrastructure, Dr. Kenji Shimizu, NTT Network Innovation Labs, Feb. 2010
Circuit Monitoring, by Aaron Brown, July-09
REDDnet use of Performance Tools, by Ezra Kissel, 27-Apr-09
Latency Monitoring Presentation by Aaron Brown, 27-Apr-09
TL1 Monitoring on USLHCNET Presentation by Sandor Rozsa and Azher Mughal, 23-Mar-09
US Regional Networks Survey
Task Force Wiki Pages (on hold)