Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

ITANA Meeting Minutes - 05 August 2010

---------------
Attending
Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (chair)
Tom Barton, University of Chicago
Mike Daley, University of Michigan
Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Keith Hazelton, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Piet Niederhausen, Georgetown University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Todd Piket, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Ann Kitalong-Will, Internet2 (scribe)

---------------
Action Items

(AI) - Scott - will write up a cover letter to send out with the Enterprise Portals questions.

(AI) - Jim P. - will contact Mark McConahay (Indiana) to discuss next steps in outreach work with RO community.

(AI) - Mike - will contact the Accenture group to see if they would be willing to discuss the methodology they used for U of MI's IT Rationalization project.

---------------
Action Item Update

Workflow Enterprise Survey - Piet will champion; survey questions are on the wiki and still available for comment. They are in the process of creating a Survey Monkey survey, and will send it out for review. One goal of the survey was to select institutions to do case studies based on the survey results.

Enterprise Portals Survey - Questions are ready, only minor revision remains. Consideration should be given to whether this survey should be sent at the same time as the Workflow Enterprise Survey; Scott will work with Piet to decide.

(AI) - Scott - will write up a cover letter to send out with the Enterprise Portals questions.

Access Point Grid - Jim L. is going to find out about Access Point grid access at his location to consider for future F2F meetings.

Enterprise Services - Jim will ping list for ideas about possible S2S sessions.

Data Governance - still on hold.

---------------
ITANA Calls

ITANA calls will be called off until mid-September. The phone bridge will be available during the regular meeting time for those sub-groups wanting to utilize the meeting time/resources.

---------------
Registrar Outreach

Best methods/approaches to conducting outreach to ROs are being considered, with regard to S2S sessions discussed in prior calls.

(AI) - Jim P. - will contact Mark McConahay (Indiana) to discuss next steps in outreach work with RO community.

---------------
Round-robin: What's going on at your campus?

The group discussed current projects on their campuses. Projects include:

  • Georgetown is converting from a home-grown HR/finance system to a SAS solution, which involves extensive data management and clean-up, as well as standardizing business practices. The SAS solution is also not as customizable as what was used in the past. They are the first higher-ed customer working with this particular SAS solution, so are
    working with the vendor to develop the system.
  • University of Michigan has an RFI out to about 19 vendors for video conferencing management. The need is growing on campus, and several departments have been exploring video conferencing options; the goal is to consider the value of centralizing video conferencing solutions.
  • University of Michigan is completing its IT audit.

(AI) - Mike - will contact the Accenture group to see if they would be willing to discuss the methodology they used for U of MI's IT Rationalization project.

  • University of Chicago has begun re-architecture for their network, starting from a policy zone model that recognizes the different and diverging needs each University unit has. They are recognizing 11 policy zones, e.g. on-boarding prospective students and challenges this presents from an IdM perspective.
  • University of Wisconsin is working with an interim CIO, and is focusing on developing the IT strategic plan at the campus level, and the related initiatives. One thought is to implement project portfolio management and service portfolio management systems as a way of managing resources and aligning to strategies.

---------------
Next Meeting - September 16, 2010
2 p.m. EDT / 1 p.m. CDT / noon MDT / 11 a.m. PDT

  • No labels