Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  

CACTI call of Jan. 8, 2019

Attending

  Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
  • Tom Barton, U. Chicago 
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
  • Rob Carter, Duke  
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson 
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech  
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College 
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT   

Internet2

  • Kevin Morooney  
  • Ann West  
  • Steve Zoppi   
  • Nick Roy
  • David Walker  
  • Emily Eisbruch  (scribe)  

Regrets

    • Marina Adomeit, GEANT

    • Nathan Dors, U Washington  

    • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison

    • Les LaCroix, Carleton College


 Action Items

  • older: [AI] Chris will discuss future of Security and Audit WG w chairs of CTAB and TAC
  • older: [AI] (ChrisP) follow up with Les and Christos on next steps for URN / OID registry.

CACTI Action items wiki:   https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/GoPdBg  

Discussion

eduTEAMS - overview and insight  

  • Q: Proxy integrates the attributes sources, can you pull info about a given user?
    • A: Yes, in dedicated version of eduteams
  • Q:  How many people to support eduTeams?
    A: Five FTEs for development and operations. Will be adding more people for the bespoke service

  • Q: Is there a matrix or comparison of platforms different from COmanage? Which has which features?
    A: Found it is not useful, from the recent pilots, hard for users to understand, better to do consulting to help understand what best fits the needs.
    Note: It was requested that Christos share this info with CACTI anyhow, if it exists.
  • Comments: 
    • Good to track lessons learned on scaling up eduTeams.
      Interesting to see how the COmanage story dovetails with the eduTeams story
    • Thanks to Christos for the excellent presentation on eduTeams.

Proposed final draft of CACTI FIM4R review

  • CACTI-DRAFT-FIM4R-Assessment Final

  • Ready to call this the completed recommendation

  • Q: How do the recommendations in the CACTI FIM4R Assessment mesh with  eduTeams ?

    • Jill: The FIM4R Assessment covers membership management and need for integration.

    •  Large section of community does not warrant federal funding. 

    • US  NRENs do not have the staff that European NRENs have. 

    • We would call on expertise with more emphasis on campus IDM staff and developers.   

    • With larger number of people involved in sharing info on how to use the offering and where to go for help.

  • It was noted that eduTeams is the collaboration as a service aspect of the FIM4R report

  • Closely parallels the CI logon 2 offering that is offered in the USA

  • Sustainability is key

  • Providing a gateway for researchers

  • Small part of research community knows about it; communicating with the community about what offerings are available is very  important

  • Ann: Next Campus Success Program (CSP) is key  

    • We want to work with Trusted CI, help projects get up to speed

    • Looking at doing something like Campus Success Program (CSP), but with  a focus on research and perhaps  on campus research centers

    • Goal is to start building long-term infrastructure to handle the projects so they don’t have to go elsewhere for the infrastructure.  

    • Long term play with interesting synergy

  • ChrisP :  FIM4R report recommendations are able to be used to fortify the CSP in next steps, we don’t necessarily call it out in the FIMrR doc

  •  Still  need to write an exec summary for the FIM4R doc

  • Kevin: 

    • CACTI did an expansive request for input

    • Feel confident taking this forward now

    • An important intermediate step is to do one or two passes and look at what is possible and broader planning constructs

    • There is half-day Internet2 exec planning team retreat later this week.

    • Kevin would like to share the FIM4R report as a draft, and as Internet2 confidential

    • Group agreed it is OK for Kevin to share the report at this point internal

    • Kevin would like to work on a communication strategy longer term for the FIM4R response work

  • Jill noted there would be benefit to sharing the FIM4R Response with the campus training events. 

  •  Ann suggested to share the current FIM4R response paper with those we reached out to for input (Component Architects, TAC, CTAB, etc) so they  can preview; Then perhaps do a webinar. Ask Jim Basney, from CI Logon, to share his perspective


2019 planning - closer collaboration with TAC + Chairs?

  • ChrisP has reached out to Janemarie and Keith Wessel of TAC to continue the conversation
  • Would be great for CACTI to know more about the planning cycle and how can CACTI help
  • Nick Roy could coordinate a planning meeting to discuss next steps, looking at major priorities.
  • AnnW: 
    • We need to look at all the community recommendations reports we have received in past 6 months. 
    • Staff could then return to CACTI and others with questions on priorities.
  • Christos: 
    • helpful to return to the reserach community with the recommendations
    • Sometimes things get lost in translation
    • AARC created recommendations along WITH the research community and this proved very helpful
  • Involve others in addition to JimB
  • TomB will try to help with that outreach to researchers  
  • Important to promote effective strategy around distribution of IAM skills on campus, distributed solutions to the research community needs. 

CACTI Staffing

  • Welcome Nick Roy as CACTI staff liaison.
  • Emily Eisbruch will continue to serve as CACTI scribe

Next CACTI Meeting is Tuesday, January 22, 2019