Child pages
  • November 20, 2007
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

NTAC Peering working Group

In attendance: Jeff Bartig, Cort Buffington, Matt Davy, Leo Donnelly, Linda Roos, Steve Wallace

1. Agenda bash
2. Mailing list for working group
3. Updates from Internet2 on CPS
4. Suggestions for a Periodic/quarterly Internet2 CPS Technical Update
5. Discuss suggestion of migrating commercial IPv6 peers to CPS
6. Internet2 IPv6 transit

1. Mailing list for working group
Linda has requested that a mailing list for the group be created by Internet2. She will send a notification to the entire NTAC list and will ask anyone interested to request a subscription.

2. Updates from Internet2 on CPS
Since the last NTAC meeting, five new peers and 4500 new routes have been added. In addition, capacity to existing peers has been increased. The service continues to grow.
Both Indiana and NOX have started to see 50% or more commodity traffic use the peering service. Steve has indicated that he will create a reasonable way to share information regarding the peers with this group.

3. Suggestions for a Periodic/quarterly Internet2 CPS Technical Update
Jeff asked for input on what the group would like to see in a technical update from Internet2. The group indicated that they would like to have an update on:
• Traffic loads
• Traffic balances
• Updates on new peers
• Traffic on backbone links—capacity planning
Additionally, the members of the group were asked to provide information regarding local CPS configurations perhaps including a logical picture of how they are connected. Steve will work with Linda for target dates for quarterly updates during regularly scheduled calls.

4. Discuss suggestion of migrating commercial IPv6 peers to CPS
At the last NTAC meeting, Steve indicated that Internet2 would like to move IPv6 peers to CPS. The group reviewed a proposal provided by Steven Wallace. Discussion ensued regarding this topic. In an email, Dave Farmer recommended that the connector migration to provider-independent IPv6 prefixes not be tied to the commercial v6 migration to CPS. The group agreed to deliver both messages to connectors at the same time when it makes sense. The group recommended that the NOC work to make testing points available to both VRFs.

Additionally, the group agreed that Steve will create a letter to be delivered with the updated proposal to the IPv6 working group. The IPv6 working group will be asked to indicate their desired level of involvement in this issue. Steve will copy the peering working group on the communication.

5. Internet2 IPv6 transit
Jeff indicated that Internet2 is providing IPv6 transit through the R&E VRF and he asked if transit will be moved to CPS VRF. Matt Davy indicated that this makes the most sense. Moving IPv6 transit into the CPS VRF expands the possible locations and providers Internet2 could use for transit to include all of the CPS peering locations. Moving IPv6 transit to the CPS VRF may also encourage connectors to make the transition to peering with the CPS VRF for IPv6 commercial peering on a reasonable schedule. Matt Davy indicated that this information needs to be added to the document. Steve will add this to the document and send an updated version to the group.

6. Other business
Steve indicated that there has been confusion, at least in Europe, about what CPS is. Steve talked to some European colleagues at the last member meeting and when they understood that CPS is not transit, they were interested and there may be an opportunity to do something with Europe with respect to v6 peering internationally. The group endorsed Steve pursuing these discussions. If anything develops, Steve will bring it back to the group for input and assistance in developing the service.

  • No labels