Welcome to Virtual Grouper training. 10am-5:30ET, Tues-Wed June 2-3 2020
Break times are approximate and up for discussion
|10:15-11:15||101: Grouper basics|
|11:30-12:45||101: Grouper basics|
|1:30-2:45||101: Grouper basics|
|3:00-3:45||101: Grouper basics|
|3:45-4:15||201: Access Governance|
|4:25-5:30||201: Access Governance|
|10:00-10:30||201: Access Governance|
|10:30-11:15||211: Grouper Privileges|
|11:30-12:00||211: Grouper Privileges|
|12:00-12:15||301: GSH (Grouper command line shell)|
|12:15-12:45||311: Grouper Containers|
|1:30-2:15||311: Grouper Containers|
|2:15-2:45||401: Access Governance Practicum|
|3:00-4:15||401: Access Governance Practicum|
|4:25-5:30||401: Access Governance Practicum|
The Grouper Training Environment (GTE) is a set of lesson plans, training exercises, and supporting Docker modules. Students are able to bring up a full training environment by running a simple command. The GTE provides all the necessary components and configuration to go from learning basic Grouper operations, to exploring the access governance concepts presented in the Grouper Deployment Guide (GDG). The focus of the GTE is Grouper installation, configuration, design, and operation. Little to no technical experience is required to complete the Grouper training.
The training environment will be made available to students via Amazon Web Services (AWS). The student will only need a connection to the Internet and a suitable SSH client (e.g. OpenSSH on UNIX/Linux/Mac systems or PuTTY on Windows). IP addresses and credentials will be provided during the class.
- We will be taking short breaks throughout the day and a longer lunch break around 1:00 ET.
- To keep things flowing well, please refrain from using the Zoom chat window. Instead, use the dedicated Slack channel for your discussions!
- VMs will be opened up several days before the class. They will remain open for two weeks after the class so that you can practice the lab exercises.
- Ask ALL of your questions. There are no dumb questions.
- Connect to your AWS instance from your computer
- Install "Kahoot!" (learning and trivia app) on your phone or preferably a device not used by zoom
- Install the Zoom app if you do not already have it
- It is nice if you have a camera available that you can turn on from time to time so we can all put names to faces
- Install the Slack app if you do not already have it and make sure you are in the grouper-training-spring2020 channel
- Review these commands that you will need (located in the GTE)
- If you do not know linux, here is a 5 minute lesson
- If you do not know “vi”, here is an 8 minute lesson
- Read the Grouper Deployment Guide
Computer setup the morning of training
- If you have a phone or device not used for zoom, have that available with Kahoot! running.
- You do not need to sign in to Kahoot but when using it please enter your real first and last name
- If you have multiple monitors available, that would be useful but not required
- Might be nice to not use a separate computer for Zoom and exercises, so you can share your screen if needed
- Open the Slack app to the grouper-training-spring2020 channel
- Open the Zoom app and connect to the Main zoom meeting (pinned from slack channel)
- Please mute yourself and either keep your camera on or be prepared to turn it on while speaking so we can put names to faces
- Open your terminal or SSH client (from pre-work <above> and slack pin) and connect to your GTE instance
Run this command
- Leave that terminal/ssh window open. Be prepared to reconnect if your SSH tunnel disconnects (e.g. when your browser stops working)
- Close all your browsers and tabs
- Open Chrome (or firefox if you don't have Chrome)
- Tab 1: GTE Jump page: https://localhost:8443/
- Tab 2: Grouper admin account: https://localhost:8443/grouper/ (banderson/password)
- Tab 3: Text to copy/paste
- Tab 4: GTE commands
- Tab 5: SQL manager: https://localhost:8443/phpmyadmin/ (root/<no password>)
- Tab 6: LDAP manager: https://localhost:8443/phpldapadmin/ (cn=root,dc=internet2,dc=edu/password)
- Tab 7: Messaging manager: https://localhost:8443/rabbitmq/ (guest/guest)
- We need another Grouper non-admin session. Either open an incognito Chrome window (if other tabs are not incognito), or open a different browser (e.g. Firefox instead of Chrome)
- Tab 1: Grouper non-admin account: https://localhost:8443/grouper/ (jsmith/password)
- Open a text editor e.g. notepad (windows) or notes (mac)
GTE commands - Simple commands to run GTE courses and interact with the environment
Text to copy/paste - Text from slides to copy and paste easily
Grouper Deployment Guide - Grouper concepts, standards, and best practices
GTE app links (once connected and a lesson is started)
|Jump page||https://localhost:8443/||Links applications|
|Grouper UI application|
|Database manager||https://localhost:8443/phpmyadmin/||root / <no password>||Phpmyadmin Mysql database manager|
|LDAP manager||https://localhost:8443/phpldapadmin/||username: cn=root,dc=internet2,dc=edu|
|Phpldapadmin LDAP administration|
|Messaging manager||https://localhost:8443/rabbitmq/||username: guest|
|Rabbitmq messaging administration|
|Shibboleth attributes||https://localhost:8443/app||Simple screen to show login state|
Other info linked from slack "pin" to keep private
- Slides (only accessed by registered course participants)
- SSH IPs and credentials
- Zoom teleconference coordinates
If you have any questions about the workshop or its technical content, please send a note to Erin at email@example.com .
You can also use the dedicated Slack channel for an even faster response.