Meeting Minutes from Performance Working Group at 2012 Joint Techs in Baton Rouge
Monday, Jan. 23, 2012
Internet2 Update (Jeff Boote)
- OSCARS v6 is available for public beta-testing
- New features include the fact that it was redesigned to be a modular set of independent services. This allowed, for example, the Internet2 engineers to replace just the path provisioning portion to port OSCARS over OpenFlow directly in only a few weeks. Additionally, the OS3E service utilizes OSCARS v6 to implement inter-domain capabilities.
- A new release came out in December.
- The team is working with the other developers to determine priorities and a roadmap for the next year. Input from the WG was requested.
- Performance Portal
- Jeff gave a short verbal recap of the Portal presentation track session.
Q: Concerning the Performance Portal, how are you planning to capture OpenFlow data?
A: We have been evaluating tools internally. So far, inMon ( http://www.inmon.com/ ) looks promising. We are still working on the database schema.
The Challenge (Carla Hunt and Ken Miller)
See Carla Hunt's Slides on the Challenge and the North Carolina Response
- What do the next generation of NOC tools and/or Advanced User tools look like?
- There has been a lot of feedback about NDT. http://www.internet2.edu/performance/ndt/
- Less feedback about other tools
See Ken Miller's Slides on Network Performance and Measurement
- Interesting work at PSU around the Network Performance Toolkit
- mostly ping, then on-demand Iperf/OWAMP
- Plans to centralize scheduling of measurements and centralize data collection
Community comments following Carla and Ken's presentations:
- There was some agreement on usefulness of being able to specify MTU size.
- Also a comment that it would be nice if the perfSONAR interface reflected results of MTU related to iPerf/BWCTL.
- Is there any way to co-schedule throughput and latency measurement tests on perfSONAR toolkit nodes?
- Ability to centralize storage of test results?
- Application layer testing
- Current toolkit provides a GUI to configure tests on one host.
- A bit more challenging to develop a GUI way to configure a constellation of scheduled measurement tests.
- How can a NOC check to see if Multicast is working?
- How much Multicast traffic is really being generated?
-NLANR Multicast beacon used to be useful for this.
-Possible that project has not been updated in a while.
Outreach to Research and Campus - SBIR program (Rich Carlson)
- Rich Carlson talked about the DOE SBIR program in the Office of Science.
- Rich is looking for better tools to run performance tests and manage infrastructure.
- Think about partnering with or starting up a new business. $1.1 M of funding over three years.
- More information: http://science.energy.gov/SBIR/
Welcome New Co-Chair
- Ken Miller, of PSU, was voted in as new co-chair of the Performance Working Group.
- The classification of the group was discussed.
- Should the group be classified as a working group or special interest group? Still an open question.