Performance Working Group Wiki
Welcome to the Performance Working Group.
*Co-Chairs:* Carla Hunt <carla\[at\]mcnc.org> and Chris Hawkinson <chawkinson \[at\] cenic.org>
*Internet2 Liason:* Jeff Boote <boote\[at\Chair: Ken Miller <kdm193 [at] psu.edu> Wiki Markup
Internet2 Liaison: Mark Feit <mfeit [ at ] internet2.edu>
Wiki and Mailing List
wiki: For the ability to create wiki content, please follow these instructions: Introduction to Spaces
After you login for the first time, please double check your profile and make sure it contains a valid e-mail address.
*Mailing List:* performance-wg\[at\]internet2.edu Wiki Markup
To Subscribe: https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/subrequest/performance-wg
Performance Working Group at Internet2 2011 Fall Member Meeting in Raleigh
Tuesday, Oct 4, 2011, 7:30am - 8:30 am
Internet2 Update --- Jeff Boote, Internet2
- General update on Internet2 staff efforts in network performance space
Fiber Asset Management Software -- Carla Hunt, MCNC
- In November 2010, MCNC, an independent 501 c3 nonprofit that operates the North Carolina Research and Education Network, issued an RFP for identifying an appropriate vendor to supply fiber asset management and mapping software to be used to document and manage existing and planned Outside Plant (OSP), allowing MCNC to accurately document the location and status of fiber assets in North Carolina that are being acquired as a result of the Broadband Technology and Opportunities Program (BTOP). Carla Hunt from MCNC will describe the process for developing the RFP and evaluating vendor offerings.
ESnet Distributed Help Desk -- Brian Tierney or Phil DeMar, ESnet
- The E-Center Network Weather & Performance Monitor is a project whose goal is to provide a single location for researchers to obtain detailed network path information of interest, and seek assistance with related concerns. This talk will describe the project, and detail its progress so far.
Periscope Presentation -- Martin Swany, University of Delaware
- Periscope Presentation Abstract: Measurement is critical for understanding system performance, but it is often difficult in distributed environments. This talk describes a framework called Periscope that extends and integrates existing perfSONAR, XSP and NetLogger systems to provide end-to-end, activity-specific measurements that can potentially handle all relevant performance data for a given user's activity in a distributed system.
IPv6, backbone measurements, and Netflow -- Matt Zekauskas, Internet2
- This short presentation will highlight the IPv6 measurements on the Internet2 backbone, and the recent addition of flow data.
Issues around Buffer Bloat - Jim Warner, UC Santa Cruz
- Buffering by network switches can cause excessive delay in packet delivery which can have negative consequences for latency sensitive applications such as VoIP. This phenomena, dubbed bufferbloat, has recently garnered widespread attention in the popular press. Members of the R+E community will discuss the challenges in handling bufferbloat in their networks.
Working Group Documents/Presentations
A study on network performance gathered from selected campus environments, Jason Zurawski, April 2013
What's new in perfSONAR Toolkit v3.3, and what's on the roadmap for the next year, Brian Tierney and Andy Lake, April 2013
Pennsylvania State University WAN Metrics Project , Ken Miller, PSU, July 2012
SFLOW Data Network Visibility and Control - Neil McKee, InMon Corporation, July 2012
ESnet - Simple Lookup Service (for perfSONAR and beyond) - Sowmya Balasubramanian, ESnet, July 2012
Wireless Broadband Measurement in California, YoungJoon Byun, Cal State, Monterey Bay, July 2012
WAN Metrics Project at PSU (including financial angles of network measurement) – Ken Miller, April 2012
Performance Portal Preview (design, privacy considerations, etc.) - Jeff Boote and Aaron Brown, Internet2, April 2012
The Challenge and the North Carolina Response, Carla Hunt, Joint Techs, January 2012
Pacific Wave perfSONAR Deployment Survey, Celeste Anderson, October 2011
How should an active measurement service operate within an experimenter's slice (encompassing Internet2 backbone resources) in the GENI facility? , by Prasad Calyam, Ohio Supercomputing Center, Feb. 2010
PRESTA 10G, a 10Gbps network interface card (NIC) with highly-accurate traffic-measurement capabilities , by Katsuhiro Sebayashi, NTT Network Innovation Labs, Feb. 2010
Development of Measurement Archive (MA) capability for PRESTA 10G that is compatible with the perfSonar measurement infrastructure, Dr. Kenji Shimizu, NTT Network Innovation Labs, Feb. 2010
Circuit Monitoring, by Aaron Brown, July-09