Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

CTAB Wed., July 17, 2019

 

  • David Bantz, University of Alaska  (vice chair)  
  • Tom Barton, University Chicago and Internet2
  • Brad Christ, Eastern Washington University
  • Jon Miner, University of Wisc - Madison 
  • John Pfeifer, University of Maryland  
  • Chris Whalen, Research Data and Communication Technologies
  • Ann West, Internet2 
  • Albert Wu, Internet2 
  • Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 
  • Jessica Coltrin, Internet2 


Regrets

  • Mary Catherine Martinez, InnoSoft (chair) 
  • Brett Bieber, University of Nebraska
  • Eric Goodman, UCOP - TAC Representative to CTAB 
  • Chris Hable, University of Michigan
  • John Hover, Brookhaven National Lab 
  • Adam Lewenberg , Stanford  
  • Rachana Ananthakrishnan, Globus, University of Chicago   


Action Items

  •  [AI] David Bantz send the reminder email on the BE v2 Survey , then Tom & others on CTAB reply to that.
  •  [AI] TomB copy FIM4R in reply to the reminder to respond to the BE v2 input survey]


  • AI Albert convene CTAB and  SIRTFI Task Force around metadata accuracy
    •  Proposal was: SIRTFI and CTAB work together on exploring these issues of accurate, fresh metadata, for SIRTFI and then take the learnings to other federations to make this a global issue. 
    • Volunteers  are David Bantz , ChrisW, Albert, ScottK and TomB volunteer,
      Albert will convene the group

DISCUSSION

Welcome Jessica Coltrin, Internet2 InCommon Advocacy Program Manager 

Baseline Expectations V2 - solicitation for community input

      • There are now 12 responses,
      • “What SSO software do you use” question has many different responses
      • SIRTFI, response shows there is interest in a year
      • Encryption - six out of 12 say do this (add it to Baseline) in next 12 months
      • Possible confusion around the MFA question, whether you must support MFA or be able to respond to it
      • CTAB should remember that Strong Authentication is a better term than MFA
      • Key takeaway: CTAB should be clearer about what the proposed baseline expectations amount to
      • Does using Shib UI fulfill the item on “provide metadata support”?
      • Suggestion to send a reminder of the survey to the participants list.
      • This reminder email should state the closing date for the survey
      • Email of July 8, 2019 did not specify a closing date for the survey
      • Suggestion for a different sender (CTAB  member) for the reminder email
      • Community Consensus process will help clarify some issues that are not crystal clear
      • In the reminder email, David will correct the broken link to community consensus process and explain what community consensus process is about
      • Deadline for survey responses  - Friday, July 26
      • Ann: suggestion to add more open ended language to the survey. 
      • We will need to communicate as well as possible for the Community Consensus
    •  [AI]  David Bantz send the reminder email on the BE v2 Survey , then Tom & others on CTAB reply to that.
    •  [AI] TomB will copy FIM4R in reply to the reminder to respond to the BE v2 input survey]

Baseline Expectations: update on 7/15/2019  entity removals

    • 9 entities (from 6 orgs) were removed yesterday 
    • Just one IDP (test IDP from ServiceNow) does not meet Baseline, all  remaining IDPs now meet baseline
    • A little cleanup still to do
    • For bilateral SPs we may leave those alone.  Updates cannot be made to those SPs without complying with Baseline. 

 CTAB roster for 2020 - recruitment, election, etc.


Joint work with SIRTFI around metadata accuracy: 

  • See CTAB notes from June 5, 2019  https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/aYA5CQ
  •  Proposal was: SIRTFI and CTAB work together on exploring these issues of accurate, fresh metadata, for SIRTFI and then take the learnings to other federations to make this a global issue. 
  • ScottK was hoping for a group to figure out how to make this work
  • Are there things that can be included in a message ? 
  • Mario at GEANT wrote a tool, but that is just one element.
  • What is the best gate for this work?
  • Something describing what process might be implemented in operations, 
  • A periodic email could be one part of this, requires some brainstorming
  • Recent description of Von Welch cybersecurity workshop, using a war game approach
  • Should we pick some random SPs and IDPs to participate in an exercise?
  • AI Albert will convene CTAB and  SIRTFI Task Force around metadata accuracy
    • Volunteers  are David Bantz , ChrisW, Albert, ScottK and TomB volunteer,
      Albert will convene the group


Next CTAB call: Wed. July 31, 2019

 

  • No labels