Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

CTAB call of Wed Feb 27, 2019

Attending

  • Mary Catherine Martinez, InnoSoft (chair)

  • Brett Bieber, University of Nebraska

  • David Bantz, University of Alaska

  • Tom Barton, University Chicago and Internet2

  • Brad Christ, Eastern Washington University

  • Eric Goodman, UCOP - TAC Representative to CTAB  

  • John Hover, Brookhaven National Lab

  • Adam Lewenberg , Stanford

  • Jon Miner, University of Wisc - Madison

  • John Pfeifer, University of Maryland  

  • Ann West, Internet2  

  • Albert Wu, Internet2

Regrets

  • Chris Whalen, Research Data and Communication Technologies

  • Rachana Ananthakrishnan, Globus, University of Chicago   

  • Chris Hable, University of Michigan

  • Emily Eisbruch, Internet2  -  


DISCUSSION

2019 CTAB Roadmap   

  •  Firming up roadmap plan, promoting collaboration-ready and prioritizing work items based on moving towards that collaboration-ready goal.

  • Developed a pyramid for the talk at 2019 Global Summit.

  • https://meetings.internet2.edu/2019-global-summit/detail/10005367/

  • Slides: https://meetings.internet2.edu/media/medialibrary/2019/03/05/20190307-herrington-collaboration-trust-interoperability.pdf

  • Risk management is at top of pyramid, much goes into managing risk

  • Pyramid could be a foundation for evaluating future baseline expectations requirements

  • A key question is which elements get moved into the base of the pyramid

    1. And how things move up into the yellow over time

  • Is the proposed schedule in the roadmap appropriate and aligned with the notion of raising bar for collab-readiness? Are things in the right order?

  • Must consider community’s ability to adopt and also importance

  • Are there dependencies that need to be separated?

  • MFA and Shib considerations:

    1. Changes in Shib v 3.3   make it possible to meet REFEDs MFA

    2. Shib 2.x versions are not being supported and so are not secure

    3. Regarding scope around MFA, there may be issues and operational concerns for SP operators

    4. Recommend to develop advice for SPs on how to balance issues around MFA

    5. Noted that  Baseline Expectations (BE) will not require supporting MFA.

    6. Rather, BE will state that if an SP requires MFA, then REFEDs MFA will be required.

    7. Once complication:  it’s possible an SP will require MFA, but then get an “error” response rather than a clear yes or no.

  • Suggestion to focus first on SIRTFI rather than MFA, since SIRTFI should  be easier to tackle

  • Also focus on requirement for supported software (Shib 3 or above)

  • Eventually we will likely want to take the proposal to governance bodies and then the community for consensus

  • How do we define academic IDP? TBD

  • Agreed it’s important to get additional feedback from research collaborations   

  • Summary: For roadmap , first tackle Security theme, SIRTFI, current versions of software

Volunteer for CTAB liaison to InCommon TAC

  • TAC meets biweekly

  • There are usually pre-reads before a TAC meeting

  • Often discuss working groups TAC has sponsored

  • Time estimate is 4 hours per month, and can be more if you volunteer for extra tasks

  • David Bantz - will be CTAB Liaison to TAC, thank you David

Invitation to comment on InCommon’s response to the 2018 WG reports (Attributes for Collaboration and Streamlining SP Onboarding )  

  • Note that Attributes for Collaboration WG was co sponsored by CTAB

  • Please review and comment at your convenience

  • Purpose of this doc  is to inform the InCommon Federation workplan

  • Response to “InCommon should build a bigger tent” is in part, BaseCAMP

  • Link to BaseCAMP Info:

  • https://www.internet2.edu/blogs/detail/16932

  • Brad Christ, Chair of the Attributes for Collaboration WG, commented that he endorses the response so far to the call to “build a bigger tent,”  including baseCAMP, and doing more outreach at EDUCAUSE and other venues. Brad noted that outreach to smaller colleges and community colleges is important.


Baseline Expectations 2018

  • Albert sent out second wave of follow up assignments to CTAB members  last week for outreach to orgs not meeting BE.

  • Nine organizations left  have not been assigned to CTAB members for follow up.

    1. Those 9 have not paid invoices. The InCommon RAs will contact those.

  • There are 60 orgs that have not met baseline. Ten of those have extensions.

  • Albert has drafted a background/context doc for Steering ahead of submitting final list to Steering for action

  • March 14. 2019 deadline to report to InCommon Steering. Steering meeting is on March 11, 2019.

CTAB WIKI

  • CTAB wiki - spinning up separate wiki unless there is objection.

  • Albert will work on this after this phase of BE is complete

Next CTAB call, Wed. March 13, 2019

  • No labels