Notes and Action Items, AAC Call of 16-Aug-2017
- Brett Bieber, University of Nebraska (chair)
- Joanna Rojas, Duke
- Ted Hanss, University of Michigan
- Ann West, Internet2
- Emily Eisbruch, Internet2
[AI] (Ann) ask Nick to prepare initial estimates of metadata compliance for Steering
[AI] (Ann) consult with Internet2 Legal Dept. about the InCommon FOPP and InCommon Participation Agreement changes suggested for Baseline Expectations
[AI] (Brett) clarify who can contact InCommon support about a baseline expectations concern.
[AI] (Brett) move some of the details (regarding contacts/metadata and process to notify InCommon Community) to an operational appendix in the Draft Processes to Implement and Maintain Baseline Expectations (Brett started this)
[AI] (Brett) make additional updates to the Diagram, Community Dispute Resolution Process [AI] (Tom) develop guiding principles for dispute resolution process [AI] (Brett) develop thought piece for InCommon Steering regarding approach around supporting available profiles
[AI] (Emily) put reinstatement process (after metadata has been removed but then the issue is addressed) on a list for Ann and TomB to talk about with InCommon Ops DONE - Erin Murtha has added this to the project JIRA Board
• Can the FM be modified to automatically check for metadata validity
• Once an entity has been modified in FM, can it be placed into the front of the maintenance process queue for checking contacts/URL
Consultation for Baseline Expectations Implementation and Maintenance Plan - Closes Aug. 18 , 2017
• Review of next steps after consultation closes:
• Brett is on agenda for next InCommon Steering call, on which there will likely be a vote on approving the baseline expectations maintenance processes
• modifications will be required to the the AAC charter
• It will be necessary to recruit new AAC members
• May have a chance at TechEx in Oct 2017 to report out on Baseline Expectations progress
• When InCommon Participation Agreement (PA) changes are ready, then 90 day review starts
• The AAC will work with InCommon operations on the processes
• Erin Murtha, Internet2 project manager is laying out the timeline and where we start
• Federation Manager needs to do some basic checks when an entity saves metadata
• First step is to verify the contacts before we can send notification of missing metadata , for example
• New Internet2 DevOps Manager Dave Shafer is exploring a dashboard showing, for example, percentage of entities that have / don’t have MDUI
Baseline Expectations and InCommon Steering
At the InCommon Steering call on Aug 10, 2017, Brett responded to several questions about Baseline Expectations Implementation.
Steering was interested in initial estimates of compliance.
[AI] Ann will ask Nick to prepare initial estimates of compliance for Steering
There were a few questions from Steering around baseline expectations themselves, in addition to questions around implementation.
There were questions from Steering on how to handle security practices, for example if a campus is not running Shib 3.0, but an older version of Shib.
It was noted that improvements to the Federation Manager are a very positive sign, including making it easier to check metadata being entered.
Question: will Steering need to approve changes to FOPP and Participation Agreement?
Answer: yes, but that does not need to happen immediately. There is a connection with the Internet2 legal review of the changes.
◦ There was a FICAM call last week. New FICAM Guidelines should be released roughly in the next month.
• Program Review of InCommon Assurance Program (hold for when Tom is on the call)
◦ Tom reached out to the InCommon Assurance Bronze institutions for feedback. Looking forward to hearing more from Tom when he is on the call
Next AAC call: Wed., Aug. 30, 2017 at 4pm ET