Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

InCommon Steering Committee Meeting - April 27, 2015
at the Internet2 Global Summit

Attending: Von Welch, Michael Gettes, Dave Vernon, John O’Keefe, Michele Norin, Ken Klingenstein, Klara Jelinkova, Susan Kelley, Pankaj Shah, Melissa Woo, Dennis Cromwell, Mark Crase, Sean Reynolds, Jacob Farmer

With: Shel Waggener, Ann West, Dean Woodbeck, Steve Zoppi

Action Items

(AI) Ann West, Steven Carmody and Michael Gettes will develop a preamble to help communicate the intent of the attribute release resolution.

(AI) Steering members agreed to review the list of IdPs submitted by NSF-funded projects as candidates for the R&S categories and contact the CIOs from these institutions.

(AI) The R&S list will be a standing agenda item until all institutions on the list have been contacted.

(AI) Ann will develop a sequence/timeline for the set of priorities.

(AI) Ann West, Steve Carmody and Jacob Farmer will work with TAC to develop/clarify the process for TAC membership and leadership, and work with TAC and AAC to standardize (or at least harmonize) the process.

Approvals via Wisegate

Chris Sadanuda (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee) was appointed vice-chair of the Assurance Advisory Committee.

The minutes from April 6, 2015, were approved via Wisegate.

Attribute Release

Ann West and Steve Carmody presented a proposed resolution for Steering to consider.


Resolution: InCommon Identity Provider Operators shall move to releasing an identified set of attributes to all InCommon Service Provider Operators.  

Action: InCommon (staff, TAC, Steering) will draft a plan by Nov 1, 2015, to enable this resolution and include a roadmap for adoption with community review and input. 

Similar to the ease in collaboration when online directories became the norm, so too will broad attribute release enable the seamless access of our community to valuable services (where collaboration is the goal).

This is the next step in the process started by the Research & Scholarship category to improve interoperability through release of attributes. While the resolution does not specify which attributes will be part of this set, it is anticipated that they will correspond mainly with directory information.

This would be a shift for InCommon; to date, we have not been prescriptive in this manner. There was discussion about the related need for consent. Ann pointed out that the draft action plan - to be developed by staff, Steering, and TAC – would include operational and communication elements, as well as a roadmap. Communications would also likely include a webinar (and other presentations) by Steering and discuss how this resolution relates to InCommon’s goals and priorities.

It was moved, seconded and unanimously passed that Steering adopt this resolution.

(AI) Ann West, Steven Carmody and Michael Gettes will develop a positive preamble to help communicate the intent of the resolution.

Research Project Requests – Research & Scholarship Category

Steering reviewed the list of non-R&S identity providers identified by LIGO and other NSF-funded projects. Michele and Melissa reported on discussions with three CIOs who were unaware of R&S and the benefits.

(AI) Steering members agreed to review the list of IdPs and sign up to contact the CIOs from these institutions.

(AI) This will be a standing agenda item until all institutions on the list have been contacted.

InCommon Priorities

Michael presented the draft of InCommon priorities on behalf of the Programs Subcommittee. There was discussion about the priorities, in general, and how to both communicate these to the community and involve the community in next steps. There was also discussion about ensuring that someone is accountable for each priority item getting done. Not all priorities will be completed in 2015; some will continue into 2016.

There was also discussion about the need to engage the community in this process, which will influence the roadmap. This priority-setting process and the associated community engagement efforts will need to become an ongoing process.

(AI) Ann will develop a sequence/timeline for the set of priorities.

Organizational/Hiring Update

Ann presented the InCommon organizational chart, including two new positions (Technology/Strategy and Community Trust/Practices).

The technology/strategy position will do an operational review, determine gaps, and determine where we need to go in terms of architecture and service management. The community trust/practices position will be responsible for the assurance and certificate programs and will assume responsibility for best practices.

The discussion moved into the relationship among the AAC, TAC and Steering. There was also discussion about the need to formalize the process for TAC membership.

(AI) Ann West, Steve Carmody and Jacob Farmer will work with TAC to develop/clarify the process for TAC membership and leadership, and work with TAC and AAC to standardize (or at least harmonize) the process.

Planning Process

There was a general discussion about the planning process and the need to align resources with priorities. In general, Steering will guide the strategic direction and will provide feedback on general plans and direction, including how to involve the community in the planning process. In general, Steering will look to Ann to provide a program statement and implementation plan.

eduGAIN Implementation

Ann provided a summary of the outcomes from the eduGAIN Working Group, including the need for changes in policy documents (FOPP and Participation Agreement) and a general timeline, including publishing the paper of intent in July and having the technology integration done in September. All of this hinges on legal review of the PA and a determination as to whether or not we will need to have all agreements re-signed. Whichever way that goes, there will be a need for frequent and clear communications.

Next Meeting – June 1, 2015 – 4 pm ET

 

  • No labels