Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  

 CACTI call of March 19, 2019

Attending

Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
  • Rob Carter, Duke 
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington  
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech    
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College 
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College
  • Jessica Coltrin, Portland State U, from InCommon TAC

Internet2 

  • Kevin Morooney 
  • Ann West 
  • Steve Zoppi  
  • Nick Roy
  • Emily Eisbruch 

Regrets

  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison   
  • Marina Adomeit, GEANT
    Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT  
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO  
  • Tom Barton, U. Chicago  

DISCUSSION

Improving connections and collaboration between working groups

  • Welcoming Jessica Coltrin, Portland State University, as InCommon TAC liaison to CACTI 
    • Previously worked with KUALI RICE, was PM for project
    • Works as Associate Director & Identity Architect at Portland State University

Charter Available for IDP as a Service Working Group

  • The charter for the new IDP as a Service WG, chartered by InCommon TAC, is now publicly available from this wiki:
  • https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/XoGlC 
  • Feedback on the charter is welcome.
  •  Mary McKee from Duke is chairing this IDP as a Service WG
  • It was noted that certification and badging are areas of interest. 
  • There are many IDP as a Service options and the TAC sponsored working group hopes to produce a set of requirements. 
  • This could lead to badging or certification for the IDP as a Service offerings.

  • Nathan noted that the  IDP as a Service WG is relevant to the work of the OIDC Deployment Working Group that Nathan chairs. 
  •  There is no profile for OIDC yet, for example to define  federation friendly standards. 
  • There is a need for more profiles in the trust and identity space.
  • Many campuses, both small and large, have expressed interest in the IDP as a Service topic. This is part of the move to outsourcing to cloud hosted services.

  • Some commercial services would like a front end that is InCommon friendly.
  • Marketing and clarity is important and clarity in defining R&E IDP as a service
  • ChrisP will share info with CACTI on Azure and IDP as a Service (done)

Debrief on Global Summit 2019  

  • There were many COmanage discussions at 2019 Global Summit.
  • One theme is that  there are skill challenges in the community
  • Scarcity of resources is causing sub optimization around a handful of people’s availability.  
  • There is a  lack  of funds to maintain multiple parallel iterations of a given product
  • There are common themes across what the organizations need, and we should  create functionality to meet the common themes.
  • Documentation and Training and support are ongoing challenges
  • Takes about 9-12 months for an architect/ engineer to get up to speed 
  • The same talent/resource scarcity issue  is true in other projects in addition to COmanage
  • Those who want greater speed to take on greater knowledge of how the software work
  • CACTI can act as amplifiers
  • Need to find ways to  increase the size of the tribe
  • For FIM4R recommendations and collaboration as a Service, these resourcing issues are crucial
  • Would be helpful to see list of what’s on development roadmap for next 18 months, along w things not being addressed.
  • Currently each project has a list. Some projects have jiras, some have full use cases. This is being gathered.
  • CACTI can help set priorities for the project roadmaps. Some of the roadmap is occasionally driven by technical teams, and should be driven by broader stakeholder needs.
  • Helpful for CACTI to help define community needs and pain points
  • AI for CACTI  do more prioritization of the FIM4R community requirements

eduroam

 CIOs want "more eduroam" 

  • Kevin is still seeking additional clarity on what the ask is around more eduroam.
  • Could be there is a desire for more SPs in eduroam
  • Desire for eduroam in airports, institutions around town
  • See Trondheim, Norway use case for eduroam at airports

  • There are some pilots of eduroam on buses 
  • There may be a need for a new risk profile around eduroam
  • Best practices for eduroam will be helpful, this will take time to develop
  • Kevin was asked about eduroam for guests. CANARIE and JISC have enabled this. Internet2 will likely be asked to enable this.  Solution to parents showing up for parents weekend, for example. 
    When using  a single SSID, guest service is key.  
    CANARIE is using a SURFnet approach/solution for eduroam for guests.

Technical Advisory Committee for eduroam

  • Working through hardware refresh, security review of eduroam service, may need a Technical Advisory Committee for eduroam to address likely growth patterns.   Architectural changes may be required, to be determined through work with the community.
  • CACTI may be able to help with eduroam story guidance within Internet2. CACTI subgroup for eduroam TAC
  • Perhaps to start in April or May 2019
  • Need to develop a draft charter for a CACTI subgroup to handle eduroam TAC.


REMAINING ITEMS held for a future CACTI call

  1. Updates from PAG (Kevin, Ann, Steve)
  2. Sessions on research collaboration and VOs (Tom B)

Community Updates (agenda only, no discussion unless desired):

  1. TIIME conference has published their proceedings: https://tiimeworkshop.eu/agenda/ 
    FIM4R, COmanage and many other good topics there

Upcoming Topics

  1. Building and cultivating identity practitioner knowledge and capacity 
    1. Talent is hard to find and cultivate, how can we be more assistive?
      1. IDPro is making progress on their body of knowledge & we have an opportunity to add our perspective: https://github.com/IDPros/bok-toc 

Next Call: Tuesday, April 2, 2019