- Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
- Tom Barton, U Chicago
- Rob Carter, Duke
- Nathan Dors, U Washington
- Jill Gemmill, Clemson
- Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT
- Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech
- Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College
- Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison
- Les LaCroix, Carleton College
- Chris Phillips, CANARIE
- Kevin Morooney
- Ann West
- Emily Eisbruch
Regrets: Christos Kanellopoulos (GEANT), Ann Harding (SWITCH/GEANT), Steve Zoppi (Internet2)
Action Items list
New Action items from this call
- [AI] (Chris) will work with Kevin and Ann to prepare for next CACTI call (Nov 28, 2017) on roadmap issues.
- [AI] (Tom) will share a link to a sheet to make providing input to FIM4R easier.
- [AI] (Todd) will share the mindmap related to the FIM4R input request (done)
- [AI] (TomB or Emily) will create a Google Folder for CACTI work
CACTI Work Items list
▪ Some of the items overtaken by events. We are currently focusing primarily on roadmaps and outputs from 2017 TechEx. Nathan started the work on how to get input from the Trust and Identity Working Groups. That topic may re-emerge as a priority.
Input to FIM4R Requirements
In October, Tom Barton asked CACTI for input to the FIM4R requirements list. He has received info from Ann Harding.
Tom has made it easier for other CACTI members to provide input, by providing a Google doc
[AI] (Tom) will share a link to a sheet to make providing input to FIM4R easier.
Todd converted the FIM4R requirements to a mindmap. https://www.thebrain.com/
[AI] (Todd) will share the mindmap related to the FIM4R input request (done)
[AI] (TomB or Emily) will create a Google Folder for CACTI work
GEANT workplan submissions - CACTI to weigh in on topics
https://wiki.geant.org/pages/viewpage.action?spaceKey=gn43tip&title=New+Idea+Submission (Federated login required, )
Ann West spoke with Ann Harding about the GEANT work plan and suggested a focus on major stories we want to support. The approach would then be to work back from those stories to the overall requirements. AnnW noted that GEANT does interfederation and "federation of last resort" work, and also looks across the landscape, between countries. Internet2’s focus in within a national boundary. But there may be area neither GEANT nor Internet2 currently have on their radar that are important to do, that span those scopes.
Examples of issues that span scopes:
- The need for a Service Catalog (to find the list of the services that a federation offers)
- MFA (multi factor authenticaiton) profile
It was noted that it's important to capture the constraints around implementation of the particular user stories. It is also important to filter ideas and to communicate priorities "up and down." Individual needs filter up. Global considerations and global roadmap must be filtered down.
Karen noted that FIM4R and GEANT are new concepts for some CACTI members. It is hard to speak to and provide input to things we don’t have background and experience with. Correct approach is to take all the perspectives and build a layered input. Karen is focused on the campus IAM arena. She leads identity policy group at VA Tech and is working to develop a list of attributes, to identify the most common set of attributes that services need. Hope to put the attributes in categories and suggest bundles. This need could filter up.
Trust and Identity Roadmap
Kevin shared that the Trust and Identity Program Advisory Group (PAG) is focusing on developing a Roadmap. The PAG met at 2017 TechEx in San Francisco and then two weeks later at EDUCAUSE. It is recognized that Internet2 Trust and identity has been bottom up activity in the past and we need to rapidly mature everything we are doing at this point. Thus, strategic planning, roadmap development and execution are all key .
There is growing awareness of and emphasis on trust and identity issues at the Internet2 Board level. Kevin has presented on Trust and Identity activities at each of the last three Internet2 board meetings.
Kevin noted that communication middle up and down, bottom up, and top down are all important. AnnW noted that there have been discussions between Trust and Identity leadership and Internet2 Marketing and Communicaitons about the need to communicate the big picture and how things fit together.
This document, curated by David Walker, provides a TIER roadmap showing what is planned by end of 2018
Next Steps on Roadmap
ChrisP stated that for the next CACTI call, he will work with Kevin and Ann to prepare a roadmap infographic for trust and identity, trying to simplify the conversation.
[AI] (Chris) will work with Kevin and Ann to prepare for next CACTI call on roadmap issues.
Parking lot for this call:
Next Steps on CACTI Working Group Processes - getting feedback from chairs (Objective: Discuss, Consensus sought ~10 min ChrisP+)
1. see bold Q's on list of questions here(bottom page): CACTI Working Group Processes - DRAFT
2. Q: CACTI would like to get a basic understanding of WG status with these minimum 3 questions. Is there a way to do this already or is this net new ask of chairs?
Next CACTI Call: Tuesday, Nov. 28, at 11am ET