Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

Attending

  Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE  (chair)  
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO  
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago 
  • Rob Carter, Duke   
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington   
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson   
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech    
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT  
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College      

 Internet2

  • Kevin Morooney   
  • Ann West   
  • Steve Zoppi    
  • Emily Eisbruch   


 Regrets

  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College  
  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison   
  • Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT


Discussion

FIM4R (Federated Identity Management for Research Collaborations) paper
  https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1296031

    • The question was raised of whether there project management on the items listed in the FIM4R paper, including timelines and communicating out.

    • Currently FIM4R does not monitor the progress of projects

    • CACTI is well positioned to be a middleman and help monitor the progress of the projects. 

    • In the past, AARC did monitoring to some degree.

    • moving forward, some projects will be picked up by GEANT.  

    • Perhaps there will be a follow on to the AARC project, new initiatives

    • There will be an event in the fall with the EU commission around the FIM4R items.

    • It was suggested that perhaps Internet2 could leverage the AARC model to convene and gather the research community.


  • AnnW commented that  Internet2 tries to track projects nationally.

    • Tracking globally is complex, perhaps each federation could measure progress

    • Then the international community could create metrics

  • Kevin stated that Internet2 is commited to lead in the area of research support

    • It will be helpful if CACTI recommends to  Kevin best path forward, and then Kevin will work to can move it forward

    • Could be an email from ChrisP to Kevin of the results of CACTI’s analysis

    • timeframe would be before TechEx in Oct 2018

  • MFA:

  • Attribute Release: 

    •  Attribute release has been a high priority for researchers but has not yet been solved

    • Can we use FIM4R to navigate this?

    • SteveZ: the TIER Containers  default to R&S

    • Due to lack of adoption of R&S, LIGO has adopted a proxy solution, so attribute release is not as important as it was previously

        • Would hope for a more nimble response to researchers needs in the future, though not sure how to accelerate the process

    • To reduce cycle times, broader reach and better network helps, running an IDP as a service could help.

    • It was noted that when we improve things for researchers, we improve federation for everyone, including enterprises 

  • InCommon TAC will look at FIM4R paper at an upcoming call

  • ChrisP and Mark Scheible (TAC Chair) will be in conversation on this and ChrisP will be on a future TAC call

  • It makes sense for CACTI to ask the T&I working groups to do gap analysis related to FIM4R


Summary of FIM4R paper discussion:

  • CACTI would like the T&I working group chairs to review the FIM4R paper and provide reflection, response,  gap analysis back to CACTI
  • AI (ChrisP) reach out to WG Chairs and ask for response (scoped feedback) to FIM4R paper  by Labor Day
  • AI (ChrisP and AnnW) work on scoped questions around FIM4R paper for WG Chairs


MACE Dir Sunset and Transition


OIDC update from the field

    • More presence in the OIDF by federations (Internet2, SWITCH, SURFNET, CANARIE + ?)

    • OIDC RE   https://wiki.refeds.org/display/GROUPS/OIDCre

    • (working group within REFEDs) Davide has stepped up to be chair and create a profile in OPENID Foundation

    • Friday afternoon after TechEx there may be a working and planning session related to OPENIDre


ADFS and Microsoft (AnnW)

  • Meeting w Microsoft at EDUCAUSE prompted rebooting of Microsoft relationship w Internet2.  

  • Microsoft is interested in cloud services and resources

  • Also talked about ADFS and federation and how it does not work as well as it should,

  • ADFS is still under development

  • There may be ways for the Internet2 community to influence the development

  • Questions came up on today’s call between Ann and Microsoft, of what’s the target

  • CACTI is in a good position to take an inventory, review w international audience and provide that input to Microsoft


Brief Updates

  • RobC and KenK have been discussing relationship between CAR (Consent Informed Attribute Release)  work and OPENID Connect work
    ChrisP is interested in potentially joining that discussion.

  • Todd, Les and Bill Thompson (Lafayette College) have been discussing best ways to encourage more TIER participation in small campuses.  

Upcoming CACTI Meetings

6 CACTI meetings left until open CACTI meeting at TechEx in Orlando (Thursday, Oct 18 at lunch ) 

  •  July 24, Aug 7, Aug 21, Sept 4 (1st day back after Labour day), Sept 18, Oct 2 



 


Next Call: Tuesday, July 10, 2018