Options (March 2010)
We have several options in front of us at this time:
- We could meet with AACRAO Tech. ITANA would have a track on Monday (5 sessions) and the room on Tuesday (1/2 day or whole day is unknown).
- We could use just the track day with AACRAO Tech and then set up a separate Face2Face meeting
- We could just do the separate Face2Face meeting as a standalone meeting
- We could wait until Fall and meet with Internet2 Fall Member Meeting
- We could do AACRAO Tech Monday Track only and then I2 FMM
Notes from the Face2Face Questionnaire Sub-team Calls
Members: Mike Daley (U. Michigan), Jim Phelps (UW-Madison), Ron Thielen (U Chicago), Eric Westfall (Indiana U)
Call dates and times:
(1) Monday, February 1, 2010 at Noon CST (1PM EST, 11AM Mountain, 10AM Pacific)
(2) Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10AM CST (11AM EST, 9AM Mountain, 8 AM Pacific)
Note: we will use the usual bridge but with a different PIN: 0149189
Seed questions from Ron:
- Question 1: What is our goal for having a face-to-face meeting? Networking? Producing one or more work products? Forming one or more subgroups tasked to produce some product?
- Related question: What would a successful face-to-face meeting look like? How many people would have attended? What would the interactions be like?
- Question 2: Do we want to pick some reasonable (where we define reasonable) set of topics for a face-to-face meeting? If so, what? Alternatively, do we want to poll the ITANA list for topics of interest, make a call for presentations?
- Question 3: How many days? 1? 1.5? 2? ...
- Question 4: Where and when? Should it be co-located with some other event a large number of us are likely to attend? Again, should we be polling the list for suggestions or just drawing on our considerable knowledge?
- Question 5: Will we need handicapped access for Jim?
To which, Jim says, "I hope not".
February 1, 2010
Attendees: Ron Thielen, Mike Daley, Jim Phelps, Eric Westfall
Fundamental Question: what is the goal(s) of having a Face2Face meeting.
Previous meetings went really well. What made them a success? Hard to say. Meeting people from other circles who you don't see as part of your regular travels is a good thing.
Previous meeting in 2008 that was cancelled had three different sections: Presentations, Feedback Sessions and Working Group Time.
We should have the list participate in the Agenda development. Here is a list of topics that are a seed-list of topics. Do this in a wiki-ish way. Use Adobe Connect to brainstorm on the topics, types of sessions, deliverables from the meeting.
A separate issue: what is the value of ITANA in general to the folks on the list?
Unique Value to Face2Face Meetings:
- Meeting new people / networking
- Find the different toolsets people are using (Frameworks and mindsets)
- Work together on deliverables
Possible Agenda Items:
- Finalize an Enterprise Workflow product at the meeting
- Focus on the things were there is a high possibility of reuse across the membership
Possible Questions to ask the group
- If you were in a forum with a bunch of architects, what would you like to ask them?
- List the top three architectural challenges that you are facing at your institution?
- Establish a Theme
- Build an agenda on the fly
There is a risk of people not being able to get travel if there isn't a well established agenda.
- Poll the ITANA List to find out their interest and to build the agenda.
- Set up an Adobe Connect Brainstorming to think about topics
- Look at the EDUCAUSE Notes to find additional topics
(AI) Jim ask Dean if we can get Adobe Connect for the February 18, 2010