Scalable Privacy: An NSTIC Pilot for the Identity Ecosystem
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) initiative is a "White House initiative to work collaboratively with the private sector, advocacy groups and public-sector agencies" with the goal of advancing the "NSTIC vision that individuals and organizations adopt secure, efficient, easy-to-use, and interoperable identity credentials to access online services in a way that promotes confidence, privacy, choice and innovation." The Internet2 Scalable Privacy Project (ScalePriv) is one of five pilot projects to receive funding from the first round of pilot funding in September 2012. The ScalePriv Project contains several major thrusts around identity and privacy, including a focus on:
- Promoting the adoption of Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) across Higher Education institutions.
- Attribute ecosystem development: Attribute Registries, Bundles and Application Categories.
- Citizen-centric Schema.
- Privacy Manager.
- Anonymous credentials.
Key focus areas of the ScalePriv Project
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) in Higher Education – MFA Cohortium and Pilots. This is the starting page for the two key thrusts within the MFA project focus area.
2. Attribute ecosystem development: Attribute Registries, Bundles and Application Categories
- Attribute Ecosystem slides (working draft)
- A first-cut, extremely rough and rudimentary browsable Multi-Schema Attribute Registry is under development as part of this project. The information is also available in the form of a spreadsheet and a Protégé ontology project.
- LoA Profile Registry
- Rutgers Identity Attribute Registry (PDF)
- Accessibility Support
- R&S Category Bundle from InCommon
- SWAMID Entity Categories
- The Entity Category Attribute Specification (draft-macedir-entity-attribute)
3. Citizen-Centric Schema
4. Privacy Manager
- Privacy Manager Overview/Status slides (working draft)
- CMU Tech Report, Warning Design Guidelines, Bauer et al
5. Anonymous credentials
Use Case Library
This is a collection of documents that are useful background and/or resources for the full range of ScalePriv project activities.
- UK Privacy Notices Code of Conduct
- Economic Tussles in Federated Identity Management: Susan Landau and Tyler Moore
- Attribute Design Considerations I-D
- FTC COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Rule) Updates
- Multifactor Authentication References