Friend, Colleague, Mentor and a truly awesome guy.
We have all the people to prove his identity.
Anyone may comment at the end of this page - please do so and help affirm Bob's identity with the attributes of all the people he touched. It's a community effort - just as he would want.
In recognition of the many years of Bob's leadership in IT for Higher Education and generally, the community who loved and respected Bob so much, attempted to acknowledge his many contributions by presenting him with the Internet2 President's Leadership Award on April 24, 2012.
The plaque given to him reads:
For exceptional global leadership
in the evolving world of digital identity.
For keen vision and acuity in enabling
new paradigms and services of enduring benefit
to global research, education and beyond.
For mentorship and personifying the essence of
true collaboration and membership in
Internet2 and InCommon.
His professional life in Information Technology was filled with leadership, design and lots of hard work. Just some of the things he has done in the Identity and Architecture space (in no particular order):
- A founder of the InCommon Federation (involved in nearly every aspect of creating and developing the federation and the concepts of federation)
- Co-Chair of InCommon Technology Advisory Committee
- Chair of MACE (Middleware Architecture Committee for Education)
- Senior Technology Architect, Computing and Communications at University of Washington
- Bread Baker's Guild of America
- Internet2 Middleware Initiative
- National Science Foundation Middleware Initiative (a primary lead, key contributor and definer of new terminology)
- co-creator of Shibboleth
- InCommon CAMP & Advanced CAMP (leader, presenter, contributor)
- IETF (working groups: ldapext, SASL, PKIX, TLS, ASID, KRB-wg), his specific RFC contributions
- Internet Society
- Directories (particularly for use in Higher Education)
- MACE Grouper Project
- MACE Signet Project (deprecated)
- fping, versions 2.x
- OASIS Security Services (SAML) Technical Committee member
- SAML (key contributor in developing this standard), co-editor for SAML2IDAssuranceProfile
- Open Identity Exchange (OIX) Advisory Board
- Kantara Initiative and a salute there about him
- Identity Commons
- OSIDM4HE - Open Source Identity Management 4 Higher Education - now named CIFER
- Common Solutions Group (one of the "usual suspects" of this group)
- NAC - Network Applications Consortium
- TERENA and the First Advanced EuroCAMP in Malaga.
- Towards Kerberizing Web Identity and Services, Jeff Hodges, Josh Howlett, Leif Johansson, RL "Bob" Morgan. MIT Kerberos Consortium whitepaper, 22-Dec-2008.
- Requirements and Approaches for a Publicly Visible Persistent Identifier for Person Entries in the Stanford University Enterprise Directory Service. Jeff Hodges, RL "Bob" Morgan, July 1998 (revised Aug 2006). (.pdf)
We lost Bob on July 12, 2012 to his battle with cancer which he documented, in his own very unique way. We believe the following from his blog demonstrates his humor, insight, ability to explain complex things in simple ways, nature to make you think. It's quintessential Bob.
Just to clear this up, for all you computer people.
Last time was “re-install OS and restore from backup”.
This time is “install a different OS”.
Next time is “migrate to the cloud”.
Yup, we got it!