The Research and Scholarship entity category is used to facilitate the exchange of information between IdPs and SPs in support of activities related to research and scholarship. Institutions that operate Service Providers (SPs) state compliance with a set of operational and technical practices to protect identity information, and institutions operating Identity Providers (IdPs) state agree to release low-risk attributes to those SPs. InCommon reviews these statements and assigns the Research and Scholarship Entity Category to those IdPs and SPs.
Certification for the Research and Scholarship (R&S) Category is a straightforward process involving both your institution and InCommon:
- You ensure that your SP or IdP meets the requirements set forth in the Research and Scholarship Entity Category definition.
- You complete an online application form. There is a different form for IdPs and SPs:
- InCommon reviews your application.
- Assuming the review is successful, InCommon generates a metadata update for your IdP or SP.
- Your site administrator approves the metadata update, and the process is complete.