InCommon Steering Minutes - Jan. 13, 2014
Attending: Klara Jelinkova, Chris Holmes, Bill Yock, Dennis Cromwell, John O’Keefe, Melissa Woo, Michael Gettes, Jack Suess, Joel Cooper, Susan Kelley, Steve Carmody, Mark Crase
With: John Krienke, Steve Zoppi, Shel Waggener, Dean Woodbeck (scribe)
Klara welcomed new members to Steering and outlined Steering’s expanded role of planning and advising Internet2 on the entire trust and identity landscape. Much of the work will be accomplished through subcommittees. Two subcommittees now exist – the program subcommittee and the governance/external relations subcommittee.
- First Monday of the month - full steering will meet
- Second and third Mondays of the month – reserved for subcommittee meetings
- Fourth Monday – exec committee will meet to set the agenda for the next full Steering meeting
- All meetings at 4 pm ET / 3 pm CT / 2 pm MT / 1 pm PT
InCommon Steering Role
- Shel Waggener welcomed the new Steering members and thanked all for their commitment
- Internet2 considers InCommon and the trust and identity ecosystem as core to Internet2’s strategy
- 2014 will be a year of transition for Steering, as it takes on responsibility for trust and identity in Internet2. Steering will provide planning and priority-setting for the identity ecosystem. This group will be core to the Internet2 governance structure and community-driven philosophy.
- Shel thanks Jack Suess for his leadership the last three years and for helping drive the vision for trust and identity
- This year makes the 10th anniversary of InCommon
Klara asked one of the co-chairs from each subcommittee to provide a summary. Steering members are asked to email co-chairs with their choice of subcommittee by Friday, Jan. 17, 2014.
- John O’Keefe and Michael Gettes are co-chairs
- A draft charter was provided to the email list prior to this call
- Key objective – to take the work currently being wrapped up by the TAC, as well as the conversations from Identity Week, and prepare program priorities for 2014
- Goal: Have a draft of program priorities ready for the February full Steering call, aiming for approval at the March call.
- The subcommittee will then focus on “care and feeding” for the balance of the year, as well as integrating any new priorities that may arise during the year
- If interested in this subcommittee, please email John (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Michael (email@example.com), and copy Klara (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jack (email@example.com)
Governance/External Relations Subcommittee
- Joel Cooper and Chris Holmes are co-chairs
- Will build on the work of revising the charter, bylaws, and nominating process, which Chris led in 2013, to accommodate Steering’s expanded role within Internet2.
- Will work on communications, defining priority organizations with which to communicate, and developing a plan for communicating with CIOs. Will look at the most effective ways to communicate and with what frequency
- To volunteer for this subcommittee, please email Joel (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Chris (Christopher_Holmes@baylor.edu), and copy Klara (email@example.com) and Jack (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Staffing and Resources
This work will likely result in identifying needs for additional resources, including staffing. Steering will bring such thoughts to Shel/Internet2. Internet2 will provide financial reports to Steering, to help in its work and priority-setting activities.
Face-to-Face Meeting at Internet2 Global Summit
Steering will meet during Internet2’s Global Summit in Denver. Tentative dates are Sunday, April 6 (afternoon) and Monday April 7 (morning).
Subcommittee chairs will communicate on meeting dates
Full Steering will meet on Monday, February 3, 2014 – 4 pm ET / 3 pm CT / 2 pm MT / 1 pm PT