CTAB Call Tuesday September 20, 2022
- Jon Miner, University of Wisc - Madison (co-chair)
- Richard Frovarp, North Dakota State
- Rick Wagner, UCSD
- Chris Whalen, Research Data and Communication Technologies
- Eric Goodman, UCOP - InCommon TAC Representative to CTAB
- Tom Barton, Internet2, ex-officio
- Albert Wu, Internet2
- Emily Eisbruch, Internet2
- Andrew Scott, Internet2
- David Bantz, University of Alaska (chair)
- Pål Axelsson, SUNET
- Sarah Borland, University of Nebraska
- Ercan Elibol, Florida Polytech Institute
- Mike Grady, Liaison from CACTI to CTAB
- Meshna Koren, Elsevier
- Andy Morgan, Oregon State University
- Dave Robinson, Grinnell College in Iowa, InCommon Steering Rep, ex-officio
- Jule Ziegler, Leibniz Supercomputing Centre
- Robert Zybeck, Portland Community College
- Johnny Lasker, Internet2
- Kevin Morooney, Internet2
- Ann West, Internet2
Working group updates
- Concluded work, material is on wiki, and feedback is invited
- There will be a chat on the profile on Oct 6
- This is not yet the formal consultation stage (final stage of accepting edits from the community)
- It is a pause / sanity check to obtain more feedback before next steps
- There are some potentially controversial points
- Question in the past two days: To what extent will issues around fishing motivate more focus on MFA?
- talked about the Linking SSO subgroup
- talked about the Linking SSO subgroup
- InCommon TAC
- Talked about REFEDs MFA profile and why there has not been much feedback so far.
- Also talked about TechEx planning.
- Neils Van Dyke will come to an upcoming TAC meeting to discuss distributed Identity.
- InCommon TAC presentation on activities regarding Digital Wallet use/adoption coming up. Intention is to reschedule this.
- REFEDs Assurance Working Group
- Completed work on the criteria defining IAP.
- Now going over the work and getting ready for a rewrite into better prose.
- The REFEDs Assurance Framework will hopefully go to consultation before TechEx.
- Criteria are comprehensive.
- Extends Research Assurance Framework v1.
- Entity Categories Working Group: no update
- SIRTFI Tabletop Exercise
- This effort is in Phase 1, communications test for organizations who will participate in the exercise in November
Baseline Expectations v2 update - where we stand at late September
- Albert has reached out to all the commercial orgs on the non compliance w BEV2 list.
- Some issues with contacts being incorrect. Hope to get updates.
- Albert has not yet reached out out to the Higher Ed orgs on the list. At end of this week Albert will reach out to them
- Some entities are not online, not visible on the internet, thus not scannable
- Implementation guidance says entities should be visible
- How to handle and clarify requirements? This could be a post BEv2 conversation
- Q: Is there a requirement for re validation of entities over time?
- Albert: This is being discussed
- Idea: Entity will only remain in metadata if it is attested as still valid
- Concern: campus uses certs for WIFI auth. Every year you must re-accept the cert that comes through, this is an end user requirement. IT staff has to hope that users do this before classes
- Suggestion to have an InCommon exec contact and another contact level too
- May look at this more closely in 2023
- We will need to remove some commercial SPs. Starting in October, Albert will start to notify campuses that may be impacted, asking them to contact their vendor.
Recruiting for CTAB - what type of talents/skillsets/influences are we looking for in next years CTAB recruits?
- A CTAB member whose term is expiring has the option to stand for election to another term
- Nominations are happening now. New terms start in January 2023.
- We may want to work towards staggered end dates for CTAB seats
- Would be good to have more representation on CTAB from the library and research community
- NIH and NSF representation on CTAB is helpful
- Representation from a commercial SP would be helpful
Next CTAB Call: Tuesday, Oct. 4