Intellectual Property reminder https://www.internet2.edu/policies/intellectual-property-framework/
Packaging - CACTI / Component architects discussion on community requirements for packaging (Tom)
- Does CACTI have role in helping to figure out community packaging requirements for the Trusted Access Platform?
- To assess and gather / manage community requirements with regard to packaging
- CACTI can help steer the discussions on packaging so the community has a voice
- Packaging is under the Trust Access Platform software integration working group led by Keith Hazelton.
- Factors and stakeholders to consider:
- Adopters would like packaging to be consistent and coherent
- Projects (Grouper, Shib, COmanage, etc) may have preferences around packaging
- Developers are working with fixed set of resources
- CACTI can reach into the community and help make sure the reasonable balance is being struck
- There will never be a perfect solution
- Configuration for packaging is an important topic:
- Internet2 is tasked with providing packages that can be extended.
- Do not want to do things upstream to prevent extension of packages downstream.
- Making the containers infinitely configurable is not the right approach, makes training and scope too complex, need to strike a balance
- TomJ: Trust Access Platform software integration working group is the right place to manage the decisions around packaging.
- But making the decisions and approach around packaging visible to the community is a function CACTI can help with.
- CACTI could put together principles around packaging and share that with the community, help amplify the message
- Sustainability and software supply chain is important
- Shibboleth and packaging
- Shib Consortium is not currently able to embrace the direction of enforcing containers
- Due to budget/resource constraints
- Migration to Shib v4 is coming up
- Small percent of orgs are at Shib v4. However Shib v4 is required for the IDP for SIRTFI so this will become an issue in 2021
- Being asked at CANARIE how to get all the IDPs current to Shib V4. Hoping that use of containers will help
- Shib is the best identity provider system, but can be challenging to deploy and update
- For containerized products, upgrades are much simpler
- A promising model is the direction taken by Grouper, introducing attractive new features, including easier upgrade path, with embrace of container strategy
- Need to look at how the Shib SP protects applications
- All CACTI members are welcome at the biweekly component architect meetings (Mondays at 1pm ET), this group includes representatives from every software project
- Summary: Document principles around packaging and make them more clear to the community. Make a path for the community to provide input
- AI (Jill and Tom) will schedule call with Keith Hazelton to discuss a feedback loop in both directions around packaging
Recruiting and Hiring WG update (Jessica)
- June 10, 2020 IAM Online on Hiring for IAM went well
- Good turnout at webinar , 88 participants
- Regarding next steps for the proposed Recruiting & Developing IAM Resources working group,
- we have a community member willing to co-chair, and another community member expressed interest in participating
- ChrisP and KarenH are interested in being CACTI sponsors
- AI Jessica will set up a call with KarenH, ChrisP, and the community member interested in leadership of the Recruting and Hiring WG
- Then announce the working group and do more announcements / outreach
- Hiring freezes are causing increased outsourcing at some organizations
- Hiring and onboarding new people who work remotely is another challenge