Page tree

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Attending

 

Members

  • Tom Jordan, University of Wisc - Madison (chair)  
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  (vice chair) 
  • Rob Carter, Duke 
  • Matthew Economou, InCommon TAC Representative to CACTI 
  • Michael Grady, Unicon 
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech 
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT 
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College 
  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE 

Guests

  • Mark Cox, UVA 
  • Corey Scholefield - IDPro
  • Heather Flanagan, Spherical Cow Group/IDPro   
  • George Dobbs, chair of the IDPro Body of Knowledge Committee and IDPro Board member 

Internet2 

  • Kevin Morooney 
  • Ann West  
  • Steve Zoppi 
  • Nick Roy  
  • Jessica Fink  
  • Emily Eisbruch  
  • Mike Zawacki  

Regrets

  • Marina Adomeit, SUNET 
  • Margaret Cullen, Painless Security
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington  
  • Bill Thompson, Lafayette College 


Pre-Read Materials

  1. IDPro Body of Knowledge  
  2. IDPro BOK Slides  

New Action Items from this call

  • AI TomJ work with Jessica to
    • 1) Poll InCommon membership around top 5  issues IT departments are facing  
    • 2) reach out to EDUCAUSE to understand their most recent polling
    • Also reach out to see what CSG is doing in this area

  • AI Heather and NickR will discuss plan for IDPro body of knowledge work around Higher Ed IDM, and report back to CACTI and IDPro

DISCUSSION

 Administrivia


Eduroam

    • What is the best way to enable a site to come online with eduroam when everyone must work at home?  
    • CANARIE is looking for a playbook on this, on and testing eduroam when people are away from campus
    • If interested, please contact Chris Phillips


Community-sourced cookbooking

    • There are gaps in resources and information for IT departments and IdM groups during this COVID-19 pandemic
    • It was suggest to look at crowd sourcing, specifically 
      • develop a template and ask the community to document things they have done to address specific issues
      • community members would submit their approach and in return they could get it reviewed and suggestions made by CACTI about how to make it better.
      • once reviewed, we can publish and promote.
      • community members would receive recognition for their work, submission and chocolate or t-shirts/something fun
    • Potential cookbook topics, sharing configurations and solutions on   
      • Managing remote exams
      • Remote proctoring
      • plagiarism tracking software (one popular plagiarism tool can be accessed thru edugain , leading to request for edugain)
      • Re-skilling for staff moving into Identity Management
      • integration solutions
    • It was noted that the IDM Cloud Services Services Cookbook has been turned over to REFEDs for making it available to the community
    • Jill: should we focus on cookbook or recipes? Cookbooks are more comprehensive and need editors, recipes are “you get what you can”
    • recipes is a good place to start
    • Heather: like idea of REFEDs having a library of such materials, keeping in mind:
      • different regions / federations have different needs
      • hub and spoke federations have some different needs for example
      • InCommon members may have common needs, so suggestion to start at InCommon level rather than international scope to start
    • Would be helpful to include site instructions/ recipes in a predictable place
    • Role of IDPRO; IDPRO is at higher level than “how do I do this thing”
    • EDUCAUSE and CSG have been gathering resources 
    • Suggestion to reach out to the community, sponsor a competition on the top 5 issues, in order to crowd source, to gather creative ideas
    • Send a poll or survey to InCommon participants list, asking top 5 issues IT departments are facing
    • Ask which things you could provide a solution for, and what are you looking for
    • EDUCAUSE does a quick poll (on technology support or staff issues), to gather info
  • AI TomJ work with Jessica to
    • 1) Poll InCommon membership around top 5  issues IT departments are facing  
    • 2) reach out to EDUCAUSE to understand their most recent polling
    • Also reach out to see what CSG is doing in this area

IDPro possible intersections (Tom/Heather)  https://www.idpro.org/

      • Heather presents slides on IDPro Body of Knowledge
      • Ian Glazer was keynote at 2017 Internet2 Global Summit; spoke about IDPro 
        https://www.internet2.edu/blogs/detail/13962
      • IDPro has done a survey each year to find out state of play in IDM community
      • Much around IDPro effort has been focused on enterprise and commercial, hope it will change to include Higher Ed
      • Apprenticeship model has been widely used
      • Idea to create a source of material, such as project management institute did about 20 years  ago
      • Then build a certification program
      • First IDPro Body of Knowledge   issue published at end of March 2020 
      • Used Janeway OpenSource Platform that allows automation of publication steps  https://github.com/BirkbeckCTP/janeway/wiki
      • On Slack REFEDs channel, there is discussion on identifiers and usernames, need more clarity, also identity definition (service versus human accounts),  these are good posts for the GITHUB
      • There were compromises for Issue 1  of IDPro Body of Knowledge  
      • Need to work on pedagogy
      • There were questions around what format/style to use: Blog post? Or more rigorous style?
      • Need to work on diversity, there were 8 male authors
      • Distributed across continents, but not enough cultural diversity
      • 25 peer reviewers, some diversity there
      • Open to new authors and peer reviewers
      • Need to improve participation, so far, all contributors were volunteers
      • At least two peer reviewers for each writing
      • Body of Knowledge board reviews all submissions
      • IDPro board gives final review
      • For the future:
        • More authors, and more diverse set of authors are needed
        • How many review steps should there be? Tighten that up
        • Become clearer on goals and specific expected outcomes
        • Develop a clear plan on certification and how it will become a reality
        • IAM Profiles for different sectors, 
        •        Higher Ed has significant diversions from enterprise
      • IDPro is a membership organization
        • 250 individual members and a few dozen commercial firms, 
        • annual budget $250,000. 
        • Much from 3-4 large corporate sponsors, paying $50K per year, 
        • See members here: https://www.idpro.org/members/
        • Heather is paid staff
        • Honorarium is offered for some articles but no one has taken this offer
        • Mostly volunteer driven
      • Most participants are from commercial sectors, so most articles are on commercial sector
      • Hope to change that with more input from higher ed constituents
      • Within IDPro body of knowledge, Higher Ed info could potentially be presented as a profile
      • Higher Ed already has the structure for collaboration
  • AI  Heather and NickR will discuss plan for IDPro body of knowledge work around Higher Ed IDM, and report back to CACTI and IDPro
    • ChrisP : interested in the base level certification work 
    • It was noted that there will need to be different tags for certification, architecture versus implementation


CACTI Sponsored Working Groups

  • CACTI has looked at spinning up the two Working Groups 
  •  Evaluating IAM Software  
    Recruiting and Onboarding 
     
  • Jessica and TomJ spoke about mechanisms to assess community interest and ability to move forward with proposed working groups.
    TomJ will share info with CACTI (done)


DID NOT DISCUSS ON THIS CACTI CALL:

    • InCommon Trusted Access Platform Software Integration connection points? Training intersections/etc?
    • Continued NET+ CSTAAC collaboration on vendor influence 
    • 7 things for CI(S)Os to know
      • Post-COVID how does our list change? Some of these things become even more important?

   Parking Lot

  1. EARN IT act follow-up (Kevin)

Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 12th, 2020