- New possibilities for sharing of services and software
- Potential seamless transition from one educational level to the next
- Access to national and international resources
- Reduces the number of passwords individuals need to remember, and reduces the likelihood that their credentials will be compromised
- The Steward manages the technical infrastructure, so no need for additional resources and technical expertise
- InCommon conducted a community review of the Steward Program between August 30, 2016 and September 29, 2016. Please see InCommon Steward Program Community Review for the results of that review.
In 2017, a proof of concept of the Steward Program was conducted in partnership with MCNC, the North Carolina regional network, to test assumptions about benefits, challenges and costs of the program.