- sFlow: widely supported industry standard
- based on virtual network and switches
- monitors all protocols
- captures packet path
- senders all open source & free
- replaces counter polling
- allows you to do lots of things
- IP address, URLs, app attributes...
- things impossible to get all together, but needed for situational analysis
sFlow now monitors more than just packets; there is also server instrumentation and it can be extended to applications
Why monitor everything with sFlow?
1. troubleshooting - always have context
2. putting network and server teams on same page
3. full observability required for automated control
control theory 101.
to automate closed loop, have to report all