Per-Entity Metadata Working Group - 2016-07-13
Agenda and Notes
[EtherPad used to create these notes: Agenda and Notes - 2016-07-13.etherpad]
Dial in from a Phone:
Dial one of the following numbers:
Meeting URL (for VOIP): https://bluejeans.com/331718470
Wiki space: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/T4PmBQ
- David Walker, InCommon/Internet2
- Scott Koranda, LIGO
- Nick Roy, InCommon/Internet2
- Michael Domingues, University of Iowa
- Tommy Doan, Southern Methodist University
- Tom Mitchell, GENI
- Paul Engle, Rice U
- Rhys Smith, Jisc/UK federation
- John Kazmerzak, University of Iowa
- Chris Phillips, CANARIE - Canadian Access Federation (CAF) operator and lead dev on IdP-Installer, a tool to automatically deploy & configure IdPs (https://bit.ly/idpinstaller )
- Kevin Morooney, InCommon/Internet2 (only for the first half)
- Lukas Hämmerle, SWITCH
- Ann West, InCommon/Internet2 (also, first half)
- Tom Scavo, Operations Manager, InCommon
- Welcome and thank you
- NOTE WELL: All Internet2 Activities are governed by the Internet2 Intellectual Property Framework. - http://www.internet2.edu/policies/intellectual-property-framework/
- Agenda bash
- Quick review of the working group charter (https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/hoPmBQ)
- Queries on other than entityID are out of scope per the charter. Examples would be queries on common name or entity attributes like R&S.
- We want to make recommendations that utilize current software and protocols.
- Discovery is an important problem. The problem can't be ignored for long. We'll likely include a call for another group to address this in our report.
- (Discussion of adding some commercial participants to this group, e.g., Ping, Microsoft.)
- Roles you bring to the conversation? IdP operator? SP operator? Fed operator?
- Interesting note from Michael Domingues that U. Iowa's cloud-based SPs are particularly having challenges with loading the large InCommon aggregate, to the point where one service couldn't yet be integrated.
- Chris Phillips mentioned that we need to keep this simple for the general public. Complexity should be "under the hood."
- Review the axes of discussion. Are these the right axes? What are we missing?:
- What is the status of SAML software for consuming per-entity metadata, now and future?
- (Possible survey vehicle at https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/SIL4BQ)
- What is the status of software/approaches/frameworks for serving per-entity metadata?
- What are the risks for a per-entity metadata service and the possible mitigations?
- What are the requirements for a per-entity metadata service?
- What questions need to be raised now about IdP discovery for SPs?
- What are the intermediate milestones along path to ubiquitous per-entity metadata?
- What steps/processes will be necessary for IdP and SP operators to trust a per-entity metadata service?
- What skill sets and effort will be required for a federation operator to deploy 24 by 7 by 365 service?
- By role? Not only for federation operators.
- How will consumers aggregate across more than one per-entity metadata service?
- Invitations/Conscription for specific inputs for future calls (Nick/Tom today if time):
- The MDQ protocol draft (Ian Young?) (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-young-md-query-05)
- Recap of InCommon per-entity metadata activities to date (Nick/Tom)
- Existence of MDQ-beta service and possibility of use for a renewed proof-of-concept
- Draft of an internal (to InCommon) proposal for a per-entity metadata service architecture: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-tQ7L8w3hmw94k0wsWg8YuvnN__4GpRQ9YzjOKkir34/edit?usp=sharing
- UK fed MDQ roadmap (Rhys Smith)
- If people have ideas for other projects, tools, etc. that are relevant for us to hear about, please add them here, send to Scott, David, or the list.
- Next call is July 20, 2016 @ 10:00 AM (America/New York)
- We'll continue with items 6 and 7.
Current Group Participants