We followed a Kanban style work process. Each team would pull an item from the backlog and work on it. Details are below.
Set Up and Group Workflow
- We set up a Scrum / Kanban style board for the conference work. The board had 4 categories/columns: Backlog, Doing, Revisit, Done
- We built the backlog by having someone explain each item as it went into the backlog
- Groups were divided into four tables. An ITANA Steering Committee member was at each table to facilitate the discussion.
- Each table would pick an item from the Backlog and move it to the Doing column. They would attach their table number to the item.
- The groups were given 45 minutes to work on the item. The followed the template for each artifact that we pasted into each item's Scratchpad in a Google doc.
- At the end of 45 minutes, the groups were asked how much more time they would need to finish up. Usually 30 minutes.
- At the end of that time, the items were moved to Revisit.
- Groups then picked a different item to revisit and edit / clean up. They were given 30 to 45 minutes to revisit.
- At the end of the revisit time, the item was moved to done.
- At the end of the sessions, attendees were asked to volunteer to be Stewards for one or more items.
The following high level process was identified for the tables by the attendees:
- Do a Quick Thin Pass first
- Capture the Big Ideas
- Then Flesh Out the document
- Capture Synonyms
- Add you Names as Contributors / Revisers
Each table should have:
- A Facilitator
- A SME