Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

ITANA Meeting Minutes - 22 July 2010

---------------
Attending
Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (chair)
Mike Daley, University of Michigan
Tom Dopirak, Carnegie Mellon University
Keith Hazelton, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Christian Johansen, Pennsylvania State University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Ron Thielen, University of Chicago
Ann West, Internet2
Ann Kitalong-Will, Internet2 (scribe)

---------------
Action Item

(AI) - Jim - will post the 2010 AACRAO Tech presentation slides to the wiki.

---------------
Action Item Updates

Access Grid Points - Oren has sent an email to the list regarding access at Washington University.

Campuses doing ESB for S2S - Jim will ping list this week.

Workflow Graphical Modeling Tools - Ron is waiting for feedback on first draft; will then post to list.

Enterprise Portals Questions - Scott is traveling right now, should have this ready for the next call.

Wiki Best Practices - Needs a champion.

---------------
New ITANA Logo

The ITANA WG has a new logo that has been posted to the web page and the wiki. The logo can be viewed here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Home

Members who are giving presentations and pulling from work they have done as part of ITANA should include the logo with a brief statement to refer audiences to ITANA.

---------------
AACRAO Tech

Jim and Ann West were both presenters at the conference.

Jim's Presentation - Jim discussed the importance of registrars and architects working together. The discussion included the role of the architects, strategic alignment between registrars and architects on campus. The presentation included a group activity to promote ways to think about how data management is connected to projects. Jim has
posted the list of potential S2S topics that resulted from the group activity, the list can be viewed here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Screen2Screen

(AI) - Jim - will post the AACRAO Tech presentation slides to the wiki.

AACRAO is interested in ITANA beginning to work on a more extensive presentation track for next year's conference, likely a student lifecycle track. It has been pointed out previously that the group would like to build stronger relationships with ROs to help prep for such a track.

Ann W's presentations - Ann presented on IDM topics as part of several different sessions with Renee Shuey (Penn State) and Mark McConahay (Indiana).

The remote proofing session was very well attended; the presenters discussed the student on-boarding process as increasing amounts of information come in over the student lifecycle, and how this is relevant to ROs and IT professionals.

---------------
S2S Discussion

The group discussed potential S2S topics as an outreach/relationship building effort between ROs and architects. (See above link to potential S2S topics.)

Some points to consider include:

  • Early S2S topic: selling value/role of architects to administrative
    offices, particularly those in student services (registrars, etc.). It
    may be interesting to contrast the role of "project manager" to that
    of "architect."
  • To appeal to the non-architect audience, it would help to focus the
    S2S content on specific topics, e.g. UW - Madison's course guide, Penn
    State's student lifecycle work
    • UW - Madison's course guide can be viewed here at: mycourseguide.wisc.edu
    • Jim and Karen will be speaking at Educause about the UW-Madison project, and could easily adapt it for a S2S session.
  • An interesting topic may be to discuss accounts management for loosely affiliated people (parents, spouses, etc.)
  • The question was raised whether the RO community really understands what "architects" do. It may be more effective to discuss outcomes in an S2S session than focusing more on the technology side. It could be presented as joint S2S sessions.
  • It was pointed out that the more fundamental issue may be the RO working with central IT than with architects. The RO community would need to understand more about the architect field, and how it differs from developers, etc.
  • Ideally, the S2S sessions would be watched by both architects/IT professionals and the RO together to spur discussion and relationship building.
  • It will be important to include several models to the relationship to appeal to a wider range of institutions. Not all institutions have a relationship between ROs and architects/IT.

The discussion will continue at the next meeting.

---------------
Next Meeting - 05 August 2010
2 p.m. EDT / 1 p.m. CDT / noon MDT / 11 a.m. PDT

  • No labels