Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

ITANA Meeting Minutes - 17 June 2010

---------------
Attending
Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (chair)
Jim Leous, Pennsylvania State University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Todd Piket, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Oren Sreebny, University of Washington
Ann Kitalong-Will, Internet2 (scribe)

---------------
Action Items

(AI) - Oren, Jim L. - will find out how to access their AccessGrid points at their respective institutions.

(AI) - Jim P - has sent out a travel survey to the list for the proposed F2F meeting. The survey can be located here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7QT5ZQ

---------------
Action Item Updates

AAACRAO Tech Student Lifecycle Summit - There will be no summit; instead, Jim will be presenting a session at the conference on Monday, July 19, at 11:00 a.m.

Workflow Graphical Modeling Tools - Ron is working on these, and will post to wiki.

---------------
F2F Meeting Discussion

Because it has been a while since the ITANA group has had the opportunity to hold a F2F meeting, it is proposed that the group schedule a meeting of 2 half-days. Jim has been in communication with UC Boulder as a possible site for the F2F. The first half-day may consist of discussion of leadership role of architecture; the second half-day would be a working meeting, consisting of "10/20" feedback sessions.

Proposed location: University of Colorado, Boulder

Proposed Dates:

  • August 5-6 OR
  • August 9-10 OR
  • August 19-20

Travel is the biggest hurdle to ITANA members' ability to attend the proposed F2F; it was suggested that alternative plans for a F2F may be more feasible. Suggestions included:

1. Holding a S2S meeting using AccessGrid nodes at either University of Washington or Pennsylvania State University. The advantage to holding an AccessGrid-based S2S meeting is that it would provide a richer, more participatory experience for members, as well as allow more members to participate who would not otherwise be able to attend due to travel expense constraints at their institutions.

It would benefit the planning of a S2S using AccessGrid if the group could work with an AccessGrid expert to plan the meeting.

Additional AccessGrid nodes can be located here: http://www.accessgrid.org/map

(AI) - Oren, Jim L. - will find out how to access their AccessGrid points at their respective institutions.

2. Piggy-backing the F2F with another conference that members are likely to attend. Suggestions include:

Educause (Anaheim, CA; October 12-15)
Conference details can be found here: http://net.educause.edu/e10

  • Hold 2-day F2F at a nearby school before Educause conference.
  • Educause pre-conference seminars begin on Tuesday, October 12, so ITANA F2F would be on Sunday, October 10-Monday October 11.
  • It was suggested that the F2F could be a pre-conference seminar if the conference resources are available.
  • It was recommended that holding the meeting after the Educause conference would not be feasible nor desireable.

Internet2 Fall Members Meeting (Atlanda, GA; November 1-4)
Conference details can be found here: http://events.internet2.edu/2010/fall-mm/

  • Side meetings will be held on Sunday, October 31-Monday, November 1

---------------
Other Topics

Jim P. is currently examining architecture practice to work on developing a maturity model for the University of Wisconsin, focusing on practices, product, and value. The goal began with the idea of building for a federated architecture group; because they're a large campus, they need a well-defined practice. They are also working on student lifecycle maturity model (goals, processes, stakeholders) with the aim to increase retention.

Renee Shuey is working on a similar project. They are finished with the student lifecycle, and at the point of gathering stakeholder input, requirements from various constituencies, etc. Renee would be a good person to discuss the project with the group.

It was suggested that the two cases would be good topics for a S2S session.

(AI) - Jim P - has sent out a travel survey to the list for the proposed F2F meeting. The survey can be located here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F7QT5ZQ

---------------
Next Meeting - Thursday, July 1, 2010
2 p.m. (EDT) / 1 p.m. (CDT) / noon (MDT) / 11 a.m. (PDT)

  • No labels