Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

ITANA Meeting Minutes - 13 May 2010

---------------
Attending
Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (chair)
Tom Barton, University of Chicago
Mike Daley, University of Michigan
Tom Dopirak, Carnegie Mellon University
Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Keith Hazelton, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Piet Niederhausen, Georgetown University
Ann West, Internet2
Eric Westfall, Indiana University/Kuali
Dean Woodbeck, Internet2
Ann Kitalong-Will, Internet2 (scribe)

---------------
Action Items

(AI) - Ron - will take charge of workflow graphical modeling tools, and
ping Keith when it is posted to the wiki.

(AI)- Scott - will email the Enterprise Portals questions to members of
the self-selected group within one week, and post the results to the
wiki.

(AI)- Jim Helwig - will cross-post the Enterprise Portals questionnaire
results to Jasig.

(AI) - Jim P. - will ping the list with a call for participation in the
Student Lifecycle Summit at AACRAO Tech.

(AI)- Keith - will cross-post Student Lifecycle Summit information to
the InCommon participants list, as there are common interests between
the groups

(AI)- Jim - will reflect on the round robin discussion and post ideas
for future call topics.

---------------
Action Item Updates

EA Framework Interview Questions - Questionnaire is complete, ready to
conduct interviews.

Portal Team - Piet is the wiki keeper.

Workflow Survey Questions - Survey questions have been revised, ready
to conduct surveys.

Data Governance - Jim is champion, will let this topic sit for now.

Wiki Best Practices - Still needs a champion.

EA Training - This will be discussed on the next call.

Workflow Graphical Modeling Tools - (AI) - Ron - will take charge of
workflow graphical modeling tools, and ping Keith when it is posted to
the wiki.

---------------
Advanced Core Technology Initiative (ACTI)
The group discussed the ACTI notice; information can be found here: http://educause.us/acti.pdf

The notice, "Renewing EDUCAUSE's Commitment to Progress in Core
Technologies," highlights the proposal to "transform much of what
EDUCAUSE now supports under the narrow Net@EDU umbrella into a new
EDUCAUSE program," but with a broader focus. The Network Policy
Council will continue to operate under the DC/Policy.

Some points to consider:

  • This follows closely with the April 29 Cloud Computing discussion
    with Shel Waggener.
  • There is a lot of activity in the areas discussed in the notice,
    specifically in higher education research; we need to make sure we
    have a good environmental scan first.
  • Institutions aren't able to keep up with demands (e.g. short-term
    provisioning, research computing).

Some questions to consider:

  • Is ACTI going to act as an overall umbrella organization for all
    related activities?
  • Will ACTI focus on physical infrastructure activities as well?(e.g.
    storage, servers)
  • Should a response statement be drafted by ITANA and sent to ACTI/Educause?
  • Is this announcement about Cloud Computing for higher education, or
    is it more related to governance?

It was agreed that the ITANA group will track ACTI-related activities
for several months before drafting a statement. The ACTI discussion
will be revisited after the official announcement is released, which
is expected in the fall.

---------------
Enterprise Portals Questionnaire

The questions are assembled; it's estimated that it will take a
participant no more than about 60 minutes to go through all the
questions.

(AI - Scott - will email the Enterprise Portals questions to members of
the self-selected group within one week, and post the results to the
wiki.

(AI) - Jim Helwig - will cross-post the Enterprise Portals questionnaire
results to Jasig.

---------------
AACRAO Tech/ITANA Joint Meeting (Student Lifecycle Summit)

The AACRAO Tech conference will take place on July 18, 19, and 20.
There will be 7 Student Lifecycle Summit tracks on Monday, July and a
half-day F2F ITANA meeting on Tuesday, July 20. Registrations and
proposal submissions will be collected through the AACRAO Tech web
site (http://www.aacrao.org/tech10/registration.htm).

(AI) - Jim P. - will ping the list with a call for participation in the
Student Lifecycle Summit at AACRAO Tech.

(AI) - Keith - will cross-post Student Lifecycle Summit information to
the InCommon participants list, as there are common interests between
the groups.

Further information about AACRAO Tech can be found on the wiki, located here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/AACAO2010

---------------
ITANA F2F Meeting

Location: UC Boulder
Approximate Date: 1.5 days to be scheduled at the end of
August/beginning of September.

There will be no hotel block reserved as this is expected to be a
small meeting; there may be a registration fee depending on whether
the group holds a formal social event. Activities will tentatively
include leadership in architecture, "10/20" feedback sessions, and
time set aside for subgroups to work together to push deliverables
forward. More details to come on future calls.

---------------
Round Robin Discussion

The group shared information about activities at their own
institutions. Common themes included:

  • Group/individuals' affiliation issues: creating procedures and
    policies to request and process.
  • IdM issues including developing a holistic view of student lifecycle
    and maturity level, access management.
  • IT strategic planning, initiatives, and rationalization, and how
    these fit in with overall business practices.

(AI) - Jim - will reflect on the round robin discussion and post ideas
for future call topics.

---------------
Next Meeting - 27 May 2010
2 p.m. EDT / 1 p.m. CDT / noon MDT / 11 a.m. PDT

  • No labels