Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

ITANA Meeting Minutes, 1 April 2010

---------------
Attending
Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin—Madison (chair)
Marina Arseniev, University of California, Irvine
Tom Barton, University of Chicago
Geoff Bouchay, University of California, Berkeley
Mike Daley, University of Michigan
Tom Dopirak, Carnegie Mellon University
Shelly Farren, McGill University
Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin—Madison
Christian Johansen, Penn State University
Jim Leous, Penn State University
Piet Niederhausen, Georgetown University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Mark Poepping, Carnegie Mellon University
David Walker, University of California, Davis
Dean Woodbeck, Internet2
Ann Kitalong-Will, Internet2 (scribe)

---------------
ACTION ITEMS

(AI) (All) Review Cloud Computing materials in preparation for Shel
Waggoner's (UC-Berkeley) discussion, tentatively re-scheduled for
April 29, 2010 call. Materials can be found:
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Cloud Computing

(AI) (Scott) will ping ITANA list to find those interested in
Enterprise Portal group & coordinate participation. Jim will also
identify a wiki-keeper on team. See topics of interest wiki page: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Topics+of+Interest

(AI) (Piet) will revise EA framework interview questions based on
today's discussion. Further suggestions can be sent to him. Interview
questions can be reviewed here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Interview+questions

(AI) (Piet) will revise Workflow Survey Questions; suggestions can be
sent to him or posted on wiki. Survey questions can be reviewed here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Workflow+survey+questions

(AI) (All) - send suggestions to email list of those who are
interested in conducting EA framework interviews, and those who are
interested in being interviewed.

(AI) (Jim P.) will champion Data Governance and Organizational
Maturity and will bring up discussion at a future call or by email.

(AI) (All) Topic of interest: wiki best practices needs champion. Send
email to Jim P. if interested.

---------------
Cloud Computing discussion is tentatively re-scheduled for April 29,
2010 phone call.

---------------
MINUTES
Minutes from March 18, 2019 were approved and will be posted to wiki.

---------------
AI UPDATES

Enterprise Portals - Scott Fullerton spoke to the Jasig group with
respect to campus enterprise portals, keeping in mind the need to
reevaluate the value/necessity of portals. It's recommended that the
focus for the group be discussion of strategy and how portals fit into
overall infrastructure. The group should be comprised of interested
members from ITANA and Jasig to develop a strawman statement of portal
taxonomies and strategy.

(AI) (Scott) will ping ITANA and Jasig lists to find those
interested in Enterprise Portal group & coordinate participation. Jim
will also identify a wiki-keeper for the group. See topics of interest
wiki page: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Topics+of+Interest

Cloud Computing - tentatively re-scheduled for the April 29 call.

(AI) (All) Review Cloud Computing materials in preparation for Shel
Waggoner's (UC-Berkeley) discussion, tentatively re-scheduled for
April 29, 2010 call. Materials can be found: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Cloud+Computing

EA Training - Jim to follow-up, Ron and Keith have not yet had a
chance to discuss graphical model used for workflow.

---------------
FRAMEWORK WG UPDATE

Interview questions are drafted, and can be viewed here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Interview+questions

The interview is divided into 3 main sections:
1. Background information about the EA group
2. Framework section - divided into to 3 sub-sections (EA as practice,
EA as information gathering, EA as a roadmap)
3. Tools section - divided into 4 sub-sections (Modeling, Templates,
Managing/Reposing Information, Presenting EA Information)

Suggestions include:

  • Interview at least 3 people in each group to find out how
    perspectives differ, how consistent the architecture is.
  • Ask about the roadblocks and successes organizations had in moving
    from FW into the actual day-to-day problem solving.
  • Ask about methods used to encourage buy-in: who was involved? What
    were objectives?
  • Include stakeholder analysis: who are stakeholders? What are their
    concerns? What can we provide to them?

(AI) Piet will revise EA framework interview questions based on
today's discussion. Further suggestions can be sent to him. (AI) All -
send suggestions to email list of those who are interested in
conducting EA framework interviews, and those who are interested in
being interviewed.

---------------
WORKFLOW WG UPDATE

The WG has drafted survey questions. The plan is to 1) conduct the
survey to develop high-level understanding of issue, then, 2) based on
survey, will conduct follow-up interviews with institutions and
develop short case studies.

(AI) Piet will revise Workflow Survey Questions; suggestions can be
sent to him or posted on wiki. Survey questions can be reviewed here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Workflow+survey+questions

---------------
TOPICS OF INTEREST

See current Topics of Interest page: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Topics+of+Interest

Data Governance - Jim P. will champion, will bring up issue on future
call or by email.

(AI) All: Wiki Best Practices needs a champion; email Jim P. if interested.

---------------
SaaS Discussion

A fun link to open the discussion, watch at your leisure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjfaCoA2sQk

The group discussed security issues in cloud computing, with some
points to consider during Shel Waggoner's presentation on the April 29
call. A joint follow-up or precursor to Shel's call should be
scheduled to discuss the issues in more depth. Some issues to consider
for Shel's call:

  • What are different campuses' experiences with SaaS providers
    handling sensitive information (e.g. salesforce.com)?
  • How are cloud providers providing separation between clients' data?
  • What gets covered in service contracts in regards to security risk?
    Is the contract enough?

David Walker posted a link to a white paper on the email list for
those who are interested: https://spaces.ais.ucla.edu/display/uccctf/Home

---------------
NEXT MEETING - THURSDAY, APRIL 15
2 p.m. EDT / 1 p.m. CDT / Noon MDT / 11 a.m. PDT