Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

ITANA Meeting Minutes, 4-March-2010

---------------
Attending

Jim Phelps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (chair)
Mike Daley, University of Michigan
Scott Fullerton, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Jim Helwig, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Christian Johansen, Pennsylvania State University
Jim Leous, Pennsylvania State University
Piet Niederhausen, Georgetown University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Todd Piket, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Ron Thielen, University of Chicago
David Walker, University of California Davis
Dean Woodbeck, Internet2 (scribe)

---------------
Action Items

(AI) All - Read the material on the wiki before the next call, which will be a discussion with Shel Waggener (UC-Berkeley) on cloud computing. See the resources here:https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Cloud+Computing.

(AI) Jim Phelps will ping the CIO, CSG and ITANA lists to encourage participation in the survey.

(AI) Piet Niederhausen and Scott Fullerton will meet to discuss how they will organize the "framework and architectural tools" work.

(AI) Jim Phelps will follow-up with Keith on the proposed enterprise workflow call (Mike Daley and David Walker are also interested in this).

(AI) Jim Phelps will post a note on the business intelligence wiki page as to why this topic is going on hiatus.

(AI) Scott Fullerton will talk with Jasig about their work on enterprise portals and discuss where ITANA might fit in with such efforts.

---------------
Carryover Action Items

(AI) Tom and Keith will develop ESB Use Cases relative to Jasig.

(AI) Jim plans to follow up with the email list about who has participated in specific EA training sessions.

(AI) Jim plans to follow up with the email list about who has participated in specific EA training sessions.

(AI) Keith and Ron will develop a wiki page on workflow graphical modeling tools that includes sets of facets that will allow for the evaluation and grading of the tools.

(AI) Keith will set up a call to also include Piet, Jim, Eric, and Tom - they comprise a group that will identify campuses with operating workflow management systems, will develop a common set of interview questions, and will talk with the identified campuses and write-up the results.

---------------
Survey

The survey (enterprise architecture in higher education) has been sent and there have been about 60 responses. Jim will ping the CIO, CSG and ITANA lists to encourage participation. The survey is here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ea_in_he_2010

---------------
Review: Topics Listed as "Future Agenda Items"

The working group used this call to review each "future agenda item" to determine whether there is still interest in the topic and, if so, to appoint a champion for the effot.

Face2Face Planning - This is still active and Jim Phelps is the champion. The planning group has a call on March 8.

Framework and Architectural Tools - This work is just starting. Marina Arseniev was the leader, but will be unable to join the ITANA calls for awhile. (AI) Piet Niederhausen and Scott Fullerton will co-champion the effort and will meet to determine how they will organize this.

Enterprise Workflow - This effort would identify schools doing enterprise-wide workflow, interview them, and bring the results back to the group and/or do case studies. (AI) Jim Phelps will follow-up with Keith on organizing a call (see carryover action items for Keith). Mike Daley and David Walker are also interested in this.

SOA - There continues to be an interest in this. Jim Phelps is the champion (Wisconsin is considering developing a revised roadmap in this area.

Joint Discussion with JISC - Going on hiatus.

Business Intelligence (pulling data out of ERPs and supporting groups doing analysis) - Going on hiatus. (AI) Jim will post a note on the business intelligence wiki page as to why this is going on hiatus.

Impact of Reorganizations on IT (the role of EA in driving reorganizations) - The interest is in whether EA helps inform IT reorganizations and how EA might propose changes to IT organizations. No champion emerged for this, but it will remain on the agenda.

Enterprise Portals - Scott Fullerton will provisionally champion this. Piet Niederhausen and David Walker are interested in helping, as well. (AI) Scott will talk with Jasig to determine what they are going and where ITANA might fit.

This is an active thread in Jasig - Jim Helwig (Univ of Wisconsin-Madison), UBC and Berkeley will present on this topic. There was discussion about the need/use for portals, now that anyone can get a Google ID and homepage. Jim Helwig, who chairs the uPortal steering committee, says they are seeing continued adoption, with both lightweight and heavy weight deployments. With the dramatic increase in mobile devices, portals may become even more important. Plus, those who develop applications for portals do so knowing they will have limited real estate available, which is also the case for mobile devices.

Enterprise Directories and Video Conferencing - place on hiatus.

---------------
Cloud Computing Discussion March 18

(AI) All - Read the material on the wiki before the next call, which will be a discussion with Shel Waggener (UC-Berkeley) on cloud computing. See the resources here:https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Cloud+Computing.

---------------
Next Meeting - Thursday, March 18 - Shel Waggener on Cloud Computing
2 p.m. EST / 1 p.m. CST / Noon MST / 11 a.m. PST

  • No labels