We have a call with Shel Waggener, Associate Vice Chancellor & CIO at UC-Berkeley, regarding his work in Cloud Computing. Here are some seed questions for the call:
- Ask him to provide a pointer to an article/place to define the basic terms for the discussion. See the resource section below
- What questions do you still have about Cloud Computing?
- Metric numbers, who is doing what in the cloud currently?
- Interesting Use Case: disaster recovery?
- Comparison of different companies are taking (Azure vs. Amazons vs. Sun)?
- We want to have a better handle of what the service offerings are and what they mean to us?
- What differences in definition of Cloud Computing have you seen from different providers?
- How does organizational maturity effect what we decide to move into a cloud environment?
- What does cloud computing mean to our ability to manage these services (incident management, outages, etc)?
- How do we state the value proposition for the central IT shop in a cloud computing environment?
- Security and Privacy implications of putting your data into the cloud.
- Organizational (Org Structure) impacts of moving to cloud computing.
Above the Clouds: A Berkeley View of Cloud Computing
Shel Waggener and Brad Wheeler's "Above-Campus Services" in EDUCAUSE Review