- Roll Call
- Main Agenda: Internet 2 and Itana partnerships: Steve Zoppi
- Wrap Up (5m, Jim Phelps)
- Steve Zoppi from Internet2 provided a presentation that documented the history of Internet2. He touched on InCommon. In 1998 a middleware collaborative network was established which also established a robust human network. There are now 100,000 + community anchor institutions. This effort produced Single Sign-On access.
- The focus of the presentation is the landscape is becoming more complex in higher education. 1000 institutions are now involved.
- More institutional skills are needed and there are more architectural needs.
- There is sustainable funding through Internet2
- The next phase in Cloud-NET + Cloud Services. The Community defines needs.
- The next steps:
- Jim Phelps: This is a thumbnail history of the Internet backbone and Internet2 worked to solve the Identity Problem through Shibboleth, Net +and the leverage of vendor contracts, response to various challenges. 20 years in 20 minutes
- The InCommon Academy
- Training Programs
- BaseCamps: Learn about the services of Internet2
- CAMP: Community Architecture and Middleware planning
- Training feeds into the Collaboration Success Program. Focused campus specified requirements.
- Collaboration Success Program:
- 4-month collaborative engagement
- Gap: Itana’s connection to architecture
- Idea #1: Registry of Known Practitioners
Idea #2: Program and Working Group Subject Matter Experts
Connect with working groups.
- Idea #3: A Help Wanted Program
- Jim: Opportunity, time bought out. Can Itana be a pool of expert architects that can be leveraged by other institutions?
- Questions and Feedback:
- Louis King: We need to determine what are the incentive aspects of a potential collaboration. There could be a mix of the 3 options
- Mary Stevens: Some staff has been voluntold they had to go to the training
- Jim: There is an opportunity for peer exposure
- J.J.: This program is a good fit based upon Itana’s charter
- Mary Stevens: They can help facilitate communication
- J.J.: What things would not make this effort successful?
- Mary Stevens: Some dragons. Internet 2 does not want to certify people. They are not that kind of organization
- Louis King: Complexity of exchange of $$ between an architect and another university. A complexity to think about
- Mary Stevens; 5 different types of engagement
- Louis King: Opportunity for Itana to draw closer to Internet2 enterprise capabilities. Bring I2 conversations into Itana. Extend the architecture community. Opportunity for the relationship to be tighter through this program
- Mary Stevens: May provide an opportunity to gain experience outside of one's institution
- Jim: Opportunity for personal development
- Betsy Draper: An opportunity for training architects. The opportunity for in-house development is limited. This could provide boots on the ground training. We all come from different places and experience is critical in this career field
- Mary Stevens: Capstone projects
- Jim: What is the roadmap? What does this look like in a year or so?
- Chris Eagle: Select one of the options and work with Itana to figure out how to implement it. We are open to ideas
- Jim: Jim will talk with Chris Eagle about the next step
14:26:08 From James J Phelps : We will put the slides on the Itana wiki after the call
14:36:46 From Steven Zoppi : I can now see the chat window …
14:39:01 From Mary Stevens : I’m wondering if there isn’t a way to also pair up a more experienced architect with someone who would like to learn on these types of projects
14:39:37 From Nina : I really like that idea Mary!
14:39:51 From Jim Phelps, Jacob Morris UW : +1 from Jacob/New2EA on Mary's idea :)
14:43:10 From James J Phelps : Itana Charter: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/ITANA+Charter+Version+3.0
14:43:35 From James J Phelps : Oops. Itana’s Charter: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/itana/Itana+Charter
14:53:11 From Nina : I think Idea #2 is also the best option for wider adoption amongst the various institutions.
14:54:32 From Jim Phelps, Jacob Morris UW : +1 on the capstone project concept
15:00:30 From Louis King : Thanks Steve. Fantastic!
15:00:33 From Nina : Thank you!
15:01:15 From Beth Schaefer : Thank you!!