Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

InCommon Technical Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes
April 28, 2015

Minutes

Attending: Michael Gettes, Paul Caskey, Nick Roy, David Walker, Mike LaHaye, David Walker, Jim Jokl, Steve Carmody, Scott Cantor, Keith Hazelton, Ken Klingenstein

With: Dean Woodbeck, Ann West, Steve Zoppi, IJ Kim, Tom Scavo, Jacob Farmer

Action Items

(AI) Nick Roy will outline the predecessor/successor relationships among the priorities to determine sequence and need-by dates. David and Ann will assist. This will be circulated to TAC and AAC.

(AI) Steven Carmody and Michael Gettes will develop a short white paper to document the requirements and goals related to attribute release.

(AI) Paul Caskey will take charge of this goal “Making Federation Easier”

(AI) Tom Barton will develop a WG charter re: how to coordinate incident response

(AI) Jacob Farmer will discuss this with the incident response person at IU

(AI) Agenda item for next meeting - how can TAC help with eduGAIN rollout.

Steering Meeting Recap

Steering met April 27, 2015, at the Global Summit. Highlights:

  • Approved the new default attribute release policy, but asked that a preamble be developed to explain the need and rationale, and put it in a positive light

  • Steering members will contact CIOs on the list of schools that have received R&S requests but are not releasing the attributes

  • Discussed the priorities list and who is accountable for each. When “TAC” or “AAC” are listed, the chair will be responsible. This led to a discussion about the lack of a process for determining TAC membership and leadership. Steering requested that TAC develop a charter to address these issues, perhaps paralleling the AAC.

  • Heard an update on the InCommon org chart, including two positions in the final stages of hiring. The next two positions will be a project manager and a TIER campus success person.

  • eduGAIN update - The proposed Participation Agreement changes are with Internet2 legal.


Organizing for 2015

TAC is flagged as owner of several of the 2015 priorities:

  • A - IDP/SP Practice Requirements (the environment, what we expect, what we specify and verify)

  • Q - an IDP of Last Resort
  • L - User Consent to Attribute Release (paired with item O - Attribute Release) 

  • X - Make Federation Easier for IDPs 

  • M - Federated incident Response


Priority A - IdP/SP Practice Requirements

  • Discussed establishing a working group to develop a framework
  • Baseline practices (needed to Catalyst program, Net+ integration, government F5 effort). Entry-level practices we can test against.

  • TAC WG establish the criteria

  • Staff to determine testing process

  • Staff to determine ongoing certification process

  • MFA (AAC is looking for this)

  • Working Group Charter should include:

    • a framework (TAC)

    • MFA (AAC)

    • baseline practices (TAC)


(AI) Nick will outline the predecessor/successor relationships among these priorities to determine sequence and need-by dates. David and Ann will assist. This will be circulated to TAC and AAC.

Priority Q - IDP of Last Resort

  • The working group is reviewing a draft final report. Deadline for comment is May 3. The report discusses the requirements for an IdP of Last Resort and how the service will need to work.
  • UnitedID is a candidate. Is CommIT a possibility?

  • TAC will specify the timeline for a decision


Priority L - User Consent

  • (AI) Steven and Michael will develop a short white paper to document the requirements and goals related to attribute release.
  • The goal is to encourage universities to develop policy to release necessary attributes for various purposes. Free The Attributes!


Priority X - Make federation easier

  • (AI) Paul Caskey will take charge of this goal
    • Review the Alternative IdP report and develop recommendations for a phased implementation plan

    • Explore the feasibility of developing Shib VM and/or installer that is InCommon-ready and define default settings

    • Include community input


Priority M - federated incident response

  • This is a priority for the research community, particularly with interfederation coming

  • This could become a trust mark with an associated specification

  • (AI) Tom Barton will develop a WG charter re: how to coordinate incident response

  • (AI) Jacob will discuss this with the incident response person at IU

  • Need to harmonize with REFEDS
  • Need to standardize (with REFEDS) the use of security contact in metadata


InCommon Model for Sponsored Partners

There was discussion of re-evaluating the InCommon model of relying on campuses to bring vendors into the federation. Perhaps InCommon should identify key vendors and work aggressively with them on integration.

(AI) Agenda item for next meeting - how can TAC help with eduGAIN rollout.

Next Meeting - Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 1 pm ET

  • No labels