InCommon Technical Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Attending: Michael Gettes, Tom Barton, Nick Roy, Steve Carmody, Ian Young, Jim Jokl, Scott Cantor, Keith Hazelton, Paul Caskey, Steve Olshansky, David Walker, Jim Basney
With: Nate Klingenstein, John Krienke, IJ Kim, Tom Scavo
(AI) Tom Scavo, Ann West and John Krienke will create a proposal for TAC to consider regarding implementation of the REFEDS R&S, including a roadmap for implementation, including a process and communications plan.
(AI) Steve Carmody will initiate the process of developing a working group to deal with the larger gateway and interfederation issues.
(AI) Steve Carmody will compare the priorities spreadsheet discussed today with the original TAC document on InCommon strategic priorities and call out major differences
Steve Carmody officially welcomed Steve Zoppi to the TAC as a “listening participant.”
Ops Update – Tom Scavo
- The MDUI display name is now required. For those with the display name blank, Ops will populate with the value in the organization display name and notify site administrators.
- Experimenting with the REFEDS “hide from discovery” entity attribute by tagging the six test IdPs in InCommon metadata
- In partnership with LIGO, there has been a campaign to support the Gravitational Wave Astronomy community by identifying and contacting IdPs with participating researchers. A number have since declared support for the R&S category.
Migrating to REFEDS R&S
Tom Scavo reported that Ops is ready to insert a REFEDS R&S entity attribute into metadata (it will be a second attribute in addition to the InCommon R&S attribute). The only significant difference between InCommon and REFEDS R&S is that REFEDS requires an MDUI info URL (see the gap analysis at https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/inctac/REFEDs+Research+and+Scholarship+Gap+Analysis
TAC is in agreement with moving to the REFEDS R&S. (AI) Tom Scavo, Ann West and John Krienke will create a proposal for TAC to consider regarding implementation of the REFEDS R&S, including a roadmap for implementation, including a process and communications plan.
Extending the Google Gateway to R&S
Steve Carmody recommended that TAC adopt the proposal made by Keith Hazelton on the email thread:
- Include the Google Gateway in the InC metadata aggregate
- Send email to the R&S SPs offering them the use of the gateway at no charge. Describe the risks, etc., and configure any site which responds positively into the gateway. Question: Do the risks we identify include the possibility that this GW might go away?
- Whenever a new SP qualifies for R&S, we inform them of the gateway option by sending the communication mentioned in the previous bullet. This keeps the gateway relatively low profile during this early phase
- Track usage, solicit feedback and work the bigger issues
There is rough consensus among TAC to proceed with this proposal, while addressing the larger questions that are posed, such as the impact on support for multiple metadata bundles, tagging, other issues with operationalize eduGAIN, and communicating all of this to participants.
(AI) Steve Carmody will initiate the process of developing a working group to deal with these issues.
Discussion of TAC work plan, priorities for 2014
Discussion centered on a spreadsheet attached to the meeting wiki page: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/download/attachments/48496658/Programs_Projects_2014.xlsx
The document was developed by staff to place InCommon ongoing programs and activities into the list of items likely to be part of TIER. The purpose is to determine how the TAC priorities align and to come to a decision about the TAC work plan for the next 6-9 months.
(AI) Steve Carmody will compare this spreadsheet with the original TAC document on InCommon strategic priorities and call out major differences (the strategic priorities document (see https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/download/attachments/48496658/DRAFT-TAC-InCommonStrategicPriorities.pdf)
Next TAC meeting
Thursday, July 3, 1 pm ET, Noon CT, 11 am MT, 10 am PT