08/06/2014 Conference Call
- Goals and time frame
- Brainstorming: strategies and assessment criteria - what are the alternatives we want to talk about and how do we evaluate them.
Goals for first call:
- Assemble group
- Begin to think of the alternatives
- Finish the strategies and assessment brainstorming list after the call
- Later, determine which alternatives the group will pursue, form sub-groups to work on each with fact-gatherers reporting back
Shaun Abshere - WISCNET
Chris Liechty - WISCNET
Bill Weems - UT Houston
Dan Zweifel - Washington U St. Louis
Mark Scheible - MCNC R&E network
Tom Scavo - InCommon
Chris Phillips - CANARIE
Mark Jones - UT Houston
Steven Carmody - Brown U
Emmett Culley - CCC
David Walker - Internet2
Janemarie Duh - Lafayette College
- Chris: Canadian Access Federation (CAF) operator - co-developed Shibboleth and eduroam IdP installer used by CAF and SWAMID federation for IdP installation
- Mark: R&E network - K-20 federation pilot - varying use cases
- Shaun: R&E network - serves everyone but U Wisconsin - working on "opt-in" federated ID system
- Dan: hosted SaaS - provide SSO and still provide resiliency
- Mark and Bill: problems with SPs - provisioning them on the IdP
- Tom: as manager of InC Federation operations, works with IdP operators and prospective IdP operators almost daily
- Problems identified
- Lack of people who understand SAML.
- Lack of vendors with good outsourcing offerings.
- It's not just the IdP…the backend IdMS may be the real issue.
- InCommon value proposition is not well understood among decision makers
- Is there an overlap with CIFER?
- No. They are focused on the future and have a larger scope. The alt IdPs group is addressing existing options and focuses on the IdP.
- We will want to inform them of our findings.
- Action items:
- Mention Internet2 Intellectual Property Framework to InCommon Affiliates if they participate in calls
- Grant wiki edit access to participants - done
- Add brief descriptions of the strategies to the grid - done
- Add to strategies: Ping Identity, SimpleSAMLphp, CAS, social gateways
- Add as criteria: ability to consume metadata- done
- In general, we'll want to flesh out "base-level" functionality
- Add benefits to the criteria - done
- Add wording to the wiki home page that the group is focused on a solution that an entire campus will use, not just for certain users as in the case of external identities