CTAB Call Tuesday May 3, 2022


  • David Bantz, University of Alaska (chair) 
  • Jon Miner, University of Wisc - Madison (co-chair)  
  • Sarah Borland, University of Nebraska  
  • Ercan Elibol, Florida Polytechnic University  
  • Richard Frovarp,  North Dakota State 
  • Eric Goodman, UCOP - InCommon TAC Representative to CTAB  
  • Andy Morgan, Oregon State University 
  • Rick Wagner, UCSD   
  • Chris Whalen, Research Data and Communication Technologies  
  • Robert Zybeck, Portland Community College 
  • Tom Barton, Internet2, ex-officio  
  • Johnny Lasker, Internet2  
  • Kevin Morooney, Internet2   
  • Emily Eisbruch, Internet2  



  • Pål Axelsson, SUNET 
  • Meshna Koren, Elsevier
  • Dave Robinson, Grinnell College in Iowa, InCommon Steering Rep, ex-officio
  • Jule Ziegler,  Leibniz Supercomputing Centre 
  • Ann West, Internet2
  • Albert Wu, Internet2


Working Group Updates

  • REFEDS Assurance  - no update
  • REFEDs MFA Sub Group
      • There is a working draft of revision of REFEDS MFA profile
      • The draft will go back to REFEDs assurance working group and then move ahead to consultation stage  
  • SIRTFI Exercise Working Group
    • Flushing out an exercise scenario
    • The first exercise is planned for later this month
  • InCommon TAC Updates
    • Note: TAC did not hold a meeting during this last two weeks, so there’s no actual meeting update
    • Working to prepare for edugain key deadline at end of June 2020.
    •     New location for edugain key
    • New releases focused on eduroam
    • Meeting next week to discuss issues related to TLS 

CTAB Work Plan 

  • Work Plan item #5 (Decide how to monitor on-going compliance with Baseline Expectations to help participants maintain adherence)
  • The Baseline Expectations TLS proposal draft attempted to outline an approach
  • Trying to help organizations stay on track with Baseline Expectations
  • Provide warnings is a part of that effort
  •  InCommon Federation staff plans to increase monitoring 
  •  Is there work CTAB can take on that is meaningful around monitoring?
  • Issue around logos and PDFs. SAML2int group spoke a lot about logos recently, there was very little community consensus on what should be done. Final disposition from SAML2Int really only requires the logos present: 
  • CTAB  decides how frequently we should talk with the community and what tone to set
  • Updating InCommon contacts is a priority

  • CTAB Collaboration with InCommon Staff
    • The work that needs to be done is a collaboration with InCommon staff
    • Looking back, the MDQ working group report resulted in  action by InCommon staff, in developing a service
    • Kevin suggests that CTAB define the ask for what is needed
    • If CTAB recommends that InCommon staff should implement some measures, it does not mean InCommon staff MUST take those steps.   In the case of InCommon TAC, sometimes the setting of priorities goes to InCommon Steering.

  • Question about Work plan item #3, Review REFEDS Entity Categories:  Is InCommon TAC also looking at this?  
  • Answer: nothing formal on InCommon TAC work plan for that

Proposals for TechEx - December 5-9, 2022 in Denver

  • https://internet2.edu/2022-technology-exchange/
  • David and Jon will submit a proposal on behalf of CTAB, featuring 
    • Overview on CTAB efforts, with focus on Baseline Expectations  
    • Discussion on what’s next to increase trust and assurance
    • Discuss efforts around  workplan item  #5 on monitoring  (Decide how to monitor on-going compliance with Baseline Expectations to help participants maintain adherence)
    • Work Plan review and updates
  • Tom will submit a proposal to talk about results of SIRTFI exercise

Next CTAB Call: Tuesday, May 17, 2022

  • No labels