CTAB call of January 12, 2021


  • David Bantz, University of Alaska (chair)
  • Brett Bieber, University of Nebraska (vice chair) 
  • Pål Axelsson, SUNET 
  • Rachana Ananthakrishnan, Globus, University of Chicago  
  • Tom Barton, University Chicago and Internet2, ex-officio  
  • Ercan Elibol, Florida Polytechnic University  
  • Richard Frovarp,  North Dakota State  
  • Meshna Koren, Elsevier 
  • Jon Miner, University of Wisc - Madison  
  • Andy Morgan, Oregon State University  
  • John Pfeifer, University of Maryland   
  • Chris Whalen, Research Data and Communication Technologies 
  • Jule Ziegler,  Leibniz Supercomputing Centre 
  • Johnny Lasker, Internet2 
  • Ann West, Internet2
  • Albert Wu, Internet2 
  • Emily Eisbruch, Internet

From InCommon Steering

  • Dave Robinson, CIO at Grinnell College in Iowa
  • Jeremy Livingston, CISO Stevens Institute of Technology 


  • Eric Goodman, UCOP - TAC Representative to CTAB 
  • Robert Zybeck, Portland Community College
  • Kevin Morooney, Internet2 

Reading/Reference Material

New Action Items from this  Call

  • AI (CTAB) provide possible written response to REFEDS Baseline Expectations Consultation prior to Jan 31, 2021
  • AI (Brett) work with Albert to launch new Assured Access Working Group  
  • AI (ChrisW) talk with Jeff Erickson about membership in the Assured Access Working Group
  • AI (Albert)   add Jeremy and Dave from InCommon Steering  to CTAB email list 

Action Item from Dec 15, 2020 CTAB Call

  • AI: (Albert) chat with Dean on whether we should expand the list of InCommon newsletter recipients


 REFEDs baseline expectations Consultation  

  • The consultation for the REFEDS Baseline Expectations specification is now open
    • This specification is high level, not detailed
    • Consultation has been open since mid December 2020
    • CTAB meets on Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2021  
    • The consultation closes Jan. 31, 2021
    • Pal: It will be helpful for CTAB to review the document and decide if there are comments we should add
    • SAML comment on the consultation is interesting 
    • AI CTAB will provide possible written response to REFEDS Baseline Expectations consultation prior to Jan 31, 2021

Prospective InCommon Steering Liaison 

    • Jeremy Livingston and Dave Robinson of InCommon Steering are on this CTAB call
    • InCommon Steering will decide who the liaison to CTAB will be 

CTAB/NIH Assured Access Working Group

  • Thanks to Tom Barton for developing the draft charter for the CTAB/NIH Assured Access Working Group   
    • For background, see discussion of "Working Group to develop concrete implementation guidance for NIH requirements" in the Dec 15, 2020 CTAB notes.
  • This is a working group to respond to the call to action from NIH and provide guidance on how entities should make use of higher levels of assurance 
  • Leveraging the REFEDs Assurance Framework 
  • It is NOT the job of this Assured Access WG to
    •  develop guidance for how to use the REFEDS MFA Profile in certain circumstances   
    •  align NIST SP800-63A with RAF IAPs.  

    • The REFEDS Assurance WG, chaired by Jule, are taking up these issues   - interested parties should participate there.

    • Jule: not sure of the timing for the mapping being done in the REFEDs Assurance WG, this is likely not a quick process
  • TomB will add to the charter a note about the potential to make recommendations to the REFEDs Assurance WG
  • NIH wants to reply on IAP moderate from REFEDs Assurance Framework by June 2021
  • Hope this working group can release some partial recommendations relatively quickly to provide community guidance
  • TomB: in some cases the Assured Access WG will focus on USA standards
    • Might focus on the I9 process in the USA
  • Pal: there are culture differences. Sometimes terms are interpreted differently in Europe versus in the USA

Service Providers

  • Comment: to demonstrate the value of this work, and get more momentum, we should explain the bigger picture, including SPs
  • Include in scope other SPs, besides the NIH, to make the case to SPs that they should ask for this as well
  • Build case for other SPs besides NIH to get behind this
  • Could there be another working group deliverable focused on the SP side?
  • Not only the why but also the how
  • Still will be a per Service Provider process
  • TomB: including SPs is a big increase in scope for the Assured Access WG
  • Job 1 is getting some organizations ready, then assess and decide where to go next
  • Rachana : SP perspective: reading the draft charter for the new working group, this seems like something for SPs to wait and watch 

  Logistics for new Assured Access Working Group

  • Proposed weekly meetings for the Assured Access Working Group.
  • Looking for a convener chair
  • Could identify chair at first call of the new WG
  • DECISION:  CTAB agrees to initiate the Assured Access Working Group   
  • Assured Access Working Group can include members not part of CTAB
  • AI Brett will work with Albert to launch   new Assured Access Working Group  

  • Interested individuals for proposed working group:
    • Rachana, Chris, Jon, Tom, David. Eric, Ercan, Brett Pal; Albert invite Scott Cantor, Kyle (NIH),Jule
    • Add additional individuals from NIH team?? Perhaps those working on Researcher Authorization service. Sumit? 
    • AI ChrisW will talk with Jeff Erikson on membership in Assured Access Working Group

Looking ahead to BEv2 activities in the next 6 months

  • InCommon Ops is creating health check list
  • Then targeted emails will be sent no less than monthly
  • Will tell participant what they are missing to meet BEv2 and will send them to the BEv2 wiki
  • There is a template for contacting non compliant entities
  • Timed articles around BEv2 will happen via regular Trust and Identity Newsletters to provide guidance/advice on specific solutions/workarounds
  • Hope that by July 2021 we can officially transition to BE v2
  • Leading up to July, adoption of BEv2 is voluntary
  • After July, it won't be allowed to publish metadata unless you meet BEV2 requirements
  • During the transition period
  • CTAB reaches out to “stragglers”
  • CTAB may host office hours in period leading up to transition
  • Will decide based on community feedback and needs

Not discussed on this call

  • How do we incentivize adoption of research collaboration enabling/required specs?
    • MFA
    • R&S / additional entity categories / attributes work?
    • Assurance
    • Relationship to REFEDS WG efforts
    • Messaging to execs / non-IAM specialists
  • -------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Teeing up for future call: Baseline 3 data points
    • NIH work as a barometer for BE3? 
    • REFEDS Baseline - where do we go with this?

Next CTAB Call: Tuesday, January 26, 2021

  • No labels