spaces.at.internet2.edu has been upgraded to Confluence 6.12.2. If you have any questions and/or concerns, please contact us at collaboration-support@internet2.edu
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Note on Links

Please note that these minutes may include some links which you may not be able to access.

InCommon Steering Meeting – August 12, 2013

Attending: Jack Suess, Klara Jelinkova, John O’Keefe, Mark Crase, Ardoth Hassler, Ken Klingenstein, Chris Holmes, Michael Gettes, Craig Stewart

With: John Kreinke, Ann West, Joe St Sauver, Dean Woodbeck (scribe)

Action Items

(AI) Jack will augment the file created by Shel, regarding the expanded role of Steering, with the information discussed today and on August 5.

(AI) Klara will complete the InCommon management job description.

(AI) Michael will complete the InCommon technical position description.

(AI) Jack will ask Shel for a proposed organization chart, taking into account the AVP position.

(AI) Steering will review/discuss the nominations process during the September 9, 2013, meeting.

Role of Steering

Discussion continued on the prospect of an expanded role for Steering. Shel Waggener shared an overview document, which was discussed during the Steering exec call on Aug. 5. The document is here: http://goo.gl/sIq0z1

The recommendation from the Steering exec call is to use this file as a starting point and add feedback, a statement from Steering about implementation and Steering’s recommended direction. “This is where we want to go.” (AI) Jack will add this information to the file created by Shel.

The file includes general information about an associate vice president position for cloud integration, architecture and standards. After the last meeting with Shel, Steering has been working on the job descriptions discussed at that time (one management and one technical). Steering will review all three job descriptions (the AVP plus an InCommon management and InCommon technical position) for overlap.

(AI) Klara will complete the InCommon management job description. (AI) Michael will complete the InCommon technical position description. (AI) Jack will ask Shel for a proposed organization chart, taking into account the AVP position.

John Krienke provided a summary of the other discussions on the Aug. 5 exec all:

  1. Identity as Infrastructure slide (slide 3) – we need a crisp definition of federation as an infrastructure component (like the network) that extends beyond Net+ services.
  2. The slide deck might not be sum of activities, but is a cloud-centered model, not campus-centered. Steering may want to acknowledge the importance of community-developed software.
  3. Steering portfolio and scope – where does InCommon fit into this architecture?

(AI) Steering members will reframe these slides from a campus perspective would be helpful. Steering to do.

This will be discussed again on the exec call next week (Aug. 19).

Governance and Principles Planning document

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/INCS/Governance+and+Operating+Principles

There was discussion about the nominations process, which should begin within the next month or so. The current method requires submitting two names for each open position on Steering and providing those to the LLC member (Internet2) with a recommendation. The consensus is to develop a process that is more transparent and easier to understand.

As part of a new process, it is important to continue to account for broad representation; that is, geographic diversity, public/private mix, large/small school mix, and stakeholder representation.

There is also interest in using the call for nominations as a communications vehicle, to convey openness and providing an overview of the pending changes for Steering’s role.

(AI) Steering will review/discuss the nominations process during the September 9, 2013, meeting.

Other Issues

CIO Communications – Steering discussed creating an email list consisting of all CIOs from InCommon participants, plus all InCommon executive liaisons (if different from the CIO). Anyone could join the list, but it would be pre-populated with this audience. The list would be moderated and used to communicate from InCommon to this constituency.

Steering Face2Face – There are tentative plans for a Steering meeting at Identity Week (dinner on Weds., Nov. 13, and meeting the morning of Thursday, Nov. 14). Should a large number of Steering members attend the EDUCAUSE annual meeting, Jack will set up a short meeting with Shel at that conference.

FirstNet RFI – FirstNet, a service for first responders, has distributed 10 requests for information and Internet2 is planning to respond to two: the network RFI and an RFI related to identity and federated identity. It is expected that FirstNet will then distribute RFPs for creating/operating the infrastructure.

CommIT – A pilot is forming with 3-5 higher education institutions and 1-2 vendors. The call for participation for higher ed ends October 1, and for vendors ends on November 1.

Duo Security – There is quite a bit of interest in the Duo multifactor offering. It seems that most are choosing the a la carte option to try it out before considering a site license.

NEXT MEETING

Aug. 26, 2013 – 4 pm ET

  • No labels