This document has information about how to manage branches in grouper. Assumes using Eclipse.
Example branch name: GROUPER_1_6_BRANCH
Example branch merge point: just commit the misc/merge.txt
How do I work in a branch?
You need to checkout that branch from git, and work in it. Here is how:
- You should probably close all projects of different branches since the names will conflict. Or you can rename with the branch in the name (e.g. grouper_trunk)
- If you have the branch checked out, just import the project into eclipse, or open the project
Which branch should I work in, and when? How to merge?
If you are making a change for the next major release (or before a branch has been made for a release), use trunk.
Note: Anonymous access to Grouper's Git repository is provided via: http://github.com/Internet2/grouper
If you are making a fix for a previous branch, then:
- Make the change in the oldest branch first (see instructions above)
- Commit the change (note the commit-id)
- Checkout the second-most-recent branch, then git cherry-pick (commit-id) where (commit-id) is the commit of your patch
- Rinse, lather, repeat, submit a pull request.