Child pages
  • Grouper call 28-Jan-2015
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Notes: Grouper Call of Wed. Jan. 28, 2015 at noon ET

Attending:

Tom Barton, U. Chicago, chair 
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn  
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Jim Fox, U. Washington
Misagh Moayyed, Unicon
David Langenberg, U. Chicago
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (Emily) work with Chris, Shilen, DaveL around uploading Grouper training videos to youtube

[AI] (Emily)  provide feedback to Internet2 TSG: Atlassian banner/ribbon at bottom of wiki is too big (Done)

[AI] (Emily) fix Grouper logo distortion problem on wiki (done)

[AI] (Misagh and Chris) will test the unmappable character  issue using Unicode. Then create wiki page to document the approach

[AI] (DaveL) follow up on provisioning empty groups to LDAP to be sure the solution is documented

[AI] (DaveL) reach out to Michael Girgis, U. Chicago, around accessibility issues in the Grouper UI. Ask what standard their team tries to meet (email sent)

Carry Over Action Items
[AI] (Dave, Chris, Jim) Create example messages encrypted/signed in various ways in a wiki page, then we can all look them over. (Dave, Jim -- todo) (Chris done)
[AI] (Chris) write some formats of messages including SCIM (done)
[AI] (Dave) as we go, document areas where SCIM may need improvement so we can add to the wishlist for SCIM 3.
[AI] Chris do training videos on upgrading and patching.
[AI] Tom to bring pen testing need into TIER process (long term)
[AI] (Emily) look into providing better, easier to find, documentation on deployment experiences with Grouper and AD, Grouper and Google Groups, etc. perhaps using Confluence tags
[AI] (Shilen) create a Grouper training video on the new Grouper UI (first video is done)

Discussion

Grouper Training

Shilen has finished recording a training video on the new Grouper UI.

[AI] (Emily) to share info w Chris, Shilen, DaveL about procedure for uploading Grouper training videos

Grouper wiki upgrade to Confluence 5.4.4

[AI] (Emily)  provide feedback to Internet2 TSG: Atlassian banner/ribbon at bottom of wiki is too big (Done)

[AI] (Emily) fix Grouper logo distortion problem on wiki (DONE)

Testing on Grouper 2.2 upgrade process and timing

Jim had an action item to  redo the upgrade to Grouper 2.2 and log the time when Shilen’s code has been added to the new patch framework.

Jim reported:
“I reran the upgrade with the patches.  Time for the post upgrade
patch, postGrouper2_2Upgrade.gsh, went from about 700 minutes to
under 200 minutes.  Note that I did not run the pit upgrade in
either test.  I might guess a similar performance gain there as well.”

Conclusion: Shilen’s patch postGrouper2_2Upgrade.gsh , using threads to decrease time of upgrade was successful. Thanks to Jim for doing this testing.

Shilen will look into translating his approach to other situations, eg,
Looking at batching may also be helpful.

Patching

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+patching

Patches are now listed on the Release Notes page:
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/v2.2+Release+Notes

Q: Hypothetical: What if TIER decides to go in a direction using OSGI?
http://www.osgi.org/Main/HomePage

A: Would require a new Grouper release.
We could potentially use the concept (breaking Grouper into small modules) without using the actual OSGI code.

unmappable character - discussed on the core list

Not sure what’s causing the issue
Misagh did testing
Suggestion: encoding should be unicode for non European characters
Encoding of the character, the file and the build tool that runs it -- all needs to be unicode
Also, this issue could be documented in a comment in the code itself

[AI] (Misagh and Chris) will test the unmappable character  issue using Unicode. Then create wiki page to document the approach

Google “How to view character encoding in a file” to see some resources

UTF-8 should work; UTF-8 is a variable with encoding

We may need to look at greater internationalization in the future

Provisioning empty groups to ldap
-

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2015-01/msg00032.html
DaveL : TomZ helped provide the solution to this.

[AI] (DaveL) follow up on provisioning empty groups to LDAP to be sure the solution is documented

Grouper v2.3 UI

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+development+v2.3

Accessibility issues for Grouper UI
One item for Grouper 2.3 is “need Accessible controls which can be controlled by keyboard only”

[AI] (DaveL) reach out to Michael Girgis, U. Chicago, around accessibility issues in the Grouper UI. Ask what standard their team tries to meet (email sent)

We may want to adhere to a standard

Rules Editor
Shoud we request  on the Grouper-dev list more requirements for the rules editor?
Chris may come up with a strawman design first

Attribute Definitions Permissions - move capabilities from the LITE UIs to the new UI

New UI can give greater visibility to more info on a single screen

Suggestion:  Try to make progress on email on the messaging issue.

Next Grouper Call: Wed. Feb. 11 at noon ET

  • No labels