Child pages
  • Grouper Call 5-Dec-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes, Grouper call 5-Dec-2012

Attending:

Tom Barton, U. Chicago (chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Shilen Patel, Duke
Michael Girgis, U. Chicago
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) contact PaulC about participation in the Social to SAML Gateway pilothttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/socialid/Social-to-SAML+Gateway+FAQ

[AI] (MichaelG) will share basic screen design ideas with the Grouper core team

[AI] (Chris) update the services wiki page, incorporating the concepts of phases and use cases.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Organizing+services+in+Grouper

[AI] (Chris) email the users list for partners to help complete the UNIX GID workhttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Integer+IDs+on+Grouper+objects

[AI] (Shilen) start a design wiki for the legacy attribute migration

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Emily) reach out to frequent contributors on the list for refreshing the case studies

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (SteveO) engage Andrew about capturing download info

[AI] (unassigned) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (unassigned) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

DISCUSSION

Grouper UI Work

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

- Michael reported that his team has wrapped up user interviews with 8 Grouper users
- From the interviews, they got good guiding principals
- have updated some of the principals / usability guidelines on the UI redesign wiki page
- things that came up over and over again
     - be consistent w navigation, especially the breadcrumb
     - providing confirmation of success when you complete a task

- Michael's group has identified key tasks to test against for beginnning and intermediate users
-  see "Key Tasks for User Testing" on the wiki  https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

- have taken first pass at what the new Grouper UI might look like
- had concerns with whether the expert use cases would be satisfied by what we were coming up with

- So retain the Admin UI as is for now
- for 2.2 release: ship the Admin UI as is, so we retain the functionality that experts are used to

- Add to and enhance the membership management part of the LITE UI
- especially, improve navigation
- this would be targeted towards basic and intermediate UI

-potential long-term strategy is: add to and improve the new UI , so eventually it could replace the ADMIN UI and has all the functionality we are looking for

Chris:

- be sure the new Membership LITE UI is backwards compatible
- people linking to the LITE UI now need to be able to maintain those links
-  be aware that some of the functionality, such as permissions and attribute framework, is only available in the LITE (AJAX) UI  (not in the ADMIN UI)

===========
Q:  At FMM in Philadelphia, the CMU Grouper team showed TomB what they had done in 5 days with improving the ADMIN UI
- they got to a more usable ADMIN UI, it was an improvement for a modest investment
- do we want to try to improve our ADMIN UI?
A: MichaelGirgis: No, did a Skype call and saw how the CMU work reduced clutter, took pieces out
- by talking things out, they made some things unavailable.
- If we did what CMU did to the ADMIN UI, it would take us off our primary focus
- they reduced clutter in the ADMIN UI, but didn't solve all the navigation issues
===========

Q: TomB: Can we keep some of the LITE UI code base?
A: Chris  we can keep the server side code, but on the client side, for accessibility, the DHTML components (tooltips) probably need to be changed

Michael: Responsive design could require some changes to the front end code

Chris: if we are expecting to accommodate small device sizes, then we might need to configure a heavily abbreviated version.

Michael: this week we are continuing with designing the wire frames
- concentrating on 5 - 6 screens that do most basic tasks (building & viewing folders and subfolders)
- we would like to put these in front of users next week
- and ask them to do those basic tasks
- ask user to click to add a new member
- see how long it took them to click there
- to see if we are on the right track

- Will use remote testing tools, such as Chalkmark   http://www.optimalworkshop.com/chalkmark

Grouper  v.2.2 work (aside from the UI)

Roadmaphttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

Chris is working on Grouper serviceshttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Organizing+services+in+Grouper

[AI] (Chris) update the services wiki page, incorporating the concepts of phases and use cases.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Organizing+services+in+Grouper

- right now, you can only add the service tag to a folder, implementing for the simpler use cases

After the Grouper services work is complete, Chris will work w Michael on the UI components

- UNIX GID management

[AI] (Chris) email the users list for partners to help complete the UNIX GID workhttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Integer+IDs+on+Grouper+objects (DONE)

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-12/msg00027.html

- Jim noted that U. Washington may be using this UNIX GID feature, possibly to recreate a UNIX group file
- possibly Penn will use the same approach
- Chris might write code for the client to do real-time and "cron"ed provisioning

Q: Jim, are you familiar with the PAM LDAP approach?
A: No, could ask around

Q: Jim, could you detail the functional need for UNIX GID management?
A: Jim: could look at this in the future

- Legacy attribute migration

Shilen and Chris  will work together on legacy attribute migration
[AI] (Shilen) start a design wiki for the legacy attribute migration

Grouper Release 2.1.3

- Grouper 2.1.3 release is moving along
- still working out some issues related to Maven Central and delegation of permission to the central repository
- Minor issues are still being found with Grouper 2.1.3
- on the 19-Dec call, we can decide if Grouper 2.1.3 is ready for release

Next Call: Wed. 19-Dec-2012 at noon ET

  • No labels