Child pages
  • Grouper Call 4-Jan-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper Call 4-Jan-2012

Attending

Tom Barton, U. Chicago, Chair
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Gary  Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Jimmy Vuccolo, Penn State U.
Lynn Garrison, Penn State U.
Keith Hazelton, UW- Madison
Tom Zeller, Unicon  
Mike McDermott, Brown
Jim Fox, University of Washington  
Steve Olshansky, Internet2  
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)  

New Action Items

[AI] (TomZ) will document steps he took regarding naming for LDAPPC NG modules

[AI] (Jim) will email the grouper-users list soliciting input on JNDI source adapter work.

[AI] (Emily) will make recommendations based on feedback from Peter S.https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2011-12/msg00020.html

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Jim) will create a wiki page on reconciling the two LDAP source adapters  

 [AI] (TomZ) will put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source

[AI] (TomZ) will review Jira issues for the next release and ensure they are properly fleshed out.  

[AI] (TomZ) will review the Grouper LDAP Loader doc and provide feedback to Chris, possibly with lessons learned from LDAPPC work.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Loader+LDAP

[AI] (TomZ) will update JIRA to reflect the priorities  

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

DISCUSSION

Grouper 2.02 Release

- Grouper 2.02 is ready to be released.
- Chris and SteveO will work on the details of the release announcement and logistics.https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-01/msg00005.html

LDAPPC-NG

- TomZ is getting the new LDAPPC-NG real time code up in SVN and writing docs for how to test.
- Hopes to have things ready for testing to start by end of week
- TomZ requests details from Penn State and others on how they plan to use LDAPPC-NG real time, so he can be prepared to help them.

- PSU
- Lynn and Jimmy reported that Penn State plans to get the new code and start putting in some large groups
- They'll make changes (using defied test cases) and see how it behaves
- They will benchmark their existing groups system against the new code and report back on performance.
- Most likely PSU will be ready to start testing next week

-Project Bamboo
- Keith wants to pilot LDAPPC NG real-time provisioning for Project  Bamboo
- There is notion of a Bamboo person repository and a Bamboo group service
- Bamboo has groups coming from sources like HubZero and Alfresco, so there is a distributed group synching issue
- Grouper will be the "master" group handler, with LDAPPC NG real time used to help with the synching
- Trial / testing will show how well the process works for the near real-time upkeep of  group info
- Project Bamboo will most likely be ready to test towards end of January 2012
- As questions arise, it would be good to post them on the Grouper-dev or Grouper-users list.
- The Grouper community can also help with some of the legacy provisioning issues that may arise

-UW Madison
- Keith noted that UW-Madison also needs to provision into directories
- But UW-Madision is still deciding on the best approach, one possibility is to use Grouper

Regarding naming of LDAPPC-NG modules, TomZ will document the steps he took following recent discussions.

[AI] (TomZ) will document steps he took re naming for LDAPPC NG modules

Feedback from Peter Schober

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2011-12/msg00020.html

- TomB stated that we appreciated Peter Schober's feedback in his recent email.
- We want to make improvements based on his experience and feedback

[AI] (Emily) will make recommendations based on feedback from Peter S.

Easier Grouper Install Process

Chris has developed an approach to an easier Grouper installation.

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-01/msg00007.html

Keith expressed enthusiasm and said he expects to be an early tester.

Plans for Grouper  2.1

February 15 is the planned freeze date for the Grouper 2.1 release.

Preliminary list of features is at :

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+highlights+2.1

These include:
- LDAPPC-NG w incremental provisioning
- LDAP Grouper Loader
- Hibernate Upgrade
- Always available Grouper Client
-Grouper installer
-permission notification
-subject attribute security
-local entities ?
JNDI source adapters (Jim will try to complete this for the Grouper 2.1 release)

JNDI Source Adapters

- JIm noted that this project involves not exactly merging the source adapters together, but rather making the new one work with the old config file
- the goal is that users can use the new source adapter without having to change their configuration
- if there is time, we  will implement the multi-user select that Chris put in the JDBC source adapter.

- Chris: for the JDBC source adapter, the default configuration is to NOT put the database server config in the sources XML, just get it from Grouper properties
- now that Grouper is doing LDAP loading, should we do a similar approach or not?
- Jim: we want to be able to keep the old config working
- Jim will see if it can be adapted

[AI] (Jim) will email the grouper-users list soliciting input on JNDI source adapter wor

Next Call: Wed. Jan. 18 at noon ET.

  • No labels