Child pages
  • Grouper Call 26-Sep-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes, Grouper call 26-Sept-2012

Attending

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Michael Girgis, University of Chicago
Bill Thompson, Unicon
Chris Hyzer, Penn
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Shilen Patel, Duke
Steve Olshansky, Internet2

*New Action Items*

[AI] (Bill) reach out to Spring Security and Shiro project members to discuss Grouper project committers maintaining plugins in the respective distributions

[AI] (Chris) reach out to French partners regarding French UI translation process as part of release steps

[AI] (Chris) test the Grouper 2.1.2 unzip issue and inform the group

*Carry Over Action Items*

[AI] (Emily) review the Grouper doc wiki and make suggestions

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (TomZ) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (TomZ) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

[AI] (SteveO) contact MikeL of TSG to set up a call with Jim and Andrew regarding adding optional Grouper registration to the downloads  (postponed until after 2012 FMM)

DISCUSSION

Grouper 2.1.2 release

What work remains prior to the Grouper 2.1.2 release?

Need to fix the unzip issue.

[AI] (Chris) test the Grouper 2.1.2 unzip issue and inform the group on status

=====

FMM Grouper WG Planning

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/FMM+2012+Grouper+WG+Draft+Agenda

In response to his outreach to the list, TomB heard from Gary at NYU that Gary would be able to share a use case.
Added this to the agenda.

=====

What are the next steps for Shiro and Spring Security plug ins?

- Unicon has developed proof of concept work for Shiro and Spring Security plug-ins/connectors to Grouper.
- Suggestion that Grouper project could be responsible for these plug ins, but have them shipped with the respective APIs
-This is done in the CAS project, where CAS maintains a plug in that is shipped with Spring Security

- The work involved is that each time Spring or Shiro has a release, it would be necessary to track potential changes affecting the integration
- Keeping the 2 infrastructures aligned correctly
- there could be versioning issues with regard to backward and forward compatibility of the Grouper Client and web services

- Agreed this approach makes sense

- Bill noted that Unicon does not have unlimited ability to work on this independently
- Would like to work with a client / campus

[AI] (Bill) reach out to Spring Security and Shiro project members to discuss Grouper project committers maintaining plugins in the respective distributions

- Even if Spring or Shiro say no to putting those connectors in their distribution, the Grouper distribution can still make the connectors available

- Bill: .net (Microsoft) will probably not include the Grouper connector/plug-in with their releases
- TomB: Microsoft has provided some support for Shib. Has published Shib white papers.
- We could explore this hybrid notion of support for Grouper

=====

Grouper Roadmap

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

Jim Fox believes Grouper will support a RESTful groups API
- BennO and ScottL have expressed interest
- TomB: yes, has been discussed, we don't have enough to constrain the problem down so we know what to specify
- VOOT work will be discussed during FMM
- that will help inform the work
- CIFER may have an impact
- it comes down to use cases

- Chris: we have a roadmap entry for access management standard WS API.
- Some think it should be REST, some are not sure
- But we should have a standard API
- This would help Grouper be adopted in the Cloud environment

- Some Net+ vendor representatives  will be at Advance CAMP Oct 4-5
- TomB would like to try to get commitments to talk about use cases with those vendors
- Next week we should look for use cases that will help with the access management API

=====

- Could make sense to have a roadmap and a wish list
- "not yet assigned" is the wish list part of the Grouper roadmap

=====

add to the Grouper WG Agenda :
- resource allocations for PSP development
- search for new developer

=====

Recent input from the community

 LdapComparator - thanks Gagne & Shilen.
      - Slot for Grouper release 2.1.3
    
JEXL work, that issue is mostly solved
- but if you don't have the exact attribute in LDAP, you can't dynamically change it
- how to get total name in Grouper if you only have 1st and last name in LDAP?
- this would be a pretty quick fix
- Chris will work on this

Maintain a French translation of the Grouper UI?
- moving forward,  when we change the file of strings
- we could notify our French partners to update change the French
- we help them keep track of this
- as  a release step, inform French partners that there are changes needed

[AI] (Chris) reach out to French partners regarding French UI translation process as part of release steps

=====

paging on getmembers (Chris)

=====

Next Grouper-Dev Call: Wed. 10-Oct-2012, noon ET

=====

REMINDERS:
Grouper Working Group session at Fall Member Meeting:
Monday, Oct. 1,  9:30am - 10:30am,  Freedom E Room http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

- Grouper After Groups - Enabling Net+ Services with PAP, PEP, and PDP, Oh My!"   
session is Wed. Oct. 3 at 4:30pm http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002595&event=1149    

- IAM Soluctions for the Community from the Community: CIFER and Friends"  
session is Thurs. Oct. 4 at 10:30am http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002605&event=1149
*** THIS SESSION WILL BE NETCAST *****
 

  • No labels