Child pages
  • Grouper Call 15-Feb-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper Call 15-Feb-2012

Attending

Tom Barton, U. Chicago, Chair
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Tom Zeller, Unicon
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Lynn Garrison, PSU
Steve Olshansky, Internet2  
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)  

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will work on upgrade instructions for the Grouper 2.1 release

[AI] (SteveO) will create the archive PDF of Grouper 2.0, and will email the Grouper-core list to ask people not to edit the wiki while the PDF is being created.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Archives

[AI] (TomZ) will add the new steps relating to PSP to the release steps page

[AI]  (TomZ and Emily) will update the documentation to reflect the terminology change from LDAPPC-NG to PSP

[AI] (Emily) will double-check that references to the QuickStart are removed from the wiki doc and that the Grouper Installer is properly documented.

[AI] (Chris) will update the Grouper-Users list about developments impacting the Grouper Atlassian connector and also update the wiki page:https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Atlassian+connector

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will do performance benchmarking on Grouper 2.1  (in progress)

[AI] (Emily) review Grouper survey data to determine if there are people with whom to follow up regarding the UI

[AI] (TomB and Emily) will outline a plan for getting community input to the new Grouper UI

[AI] (Mike) will review and contribute to the Grouper UI Planning wiki pagehttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

[AI] (Shilen) will review and contribute to the Grouper UI Planning wiki page

 [AI] (TomZ) will put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source  

[AI] (TomZ) will review Jira issues for the next release and ensure they are properly fleshed out and reflect priorities.

[AI] (TomZ) will review the Grouper LDAP Loader doc and provide feedback to Chris, possibly with lessons learned from LDAPPC work.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Loader+LDAP

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

DISCUSSION

On TomZ's action item to put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source:
- TomZ has solved the issue of dummy names for the test data
- but the test data is not on the Internet2 server yet
- couldn't find a good browser-based LDAP reader
- Q: should we let people connect with their own client?
- A: could be an extra step
- TomZ needs to focus on PSP, so this is on hold for now
- we will eventually come back to this and perhaps scale the test down in size

PSP Progress and Grouper 2.1 Issues

- TomZ reports we are working out issues PSU is having in testing Grouper 2.1 pre-release
- we need next week to continue testing

- Lynn did the calc command on a 26K member group
- tried to start a Grouper session in another window. Performance of Grouper Shell was slow
- but it worked better on subsequent tests
- Lynn will do more testing

- TomZ: on wiki page, we need to discuss how to turn on logging
- so that the PSP will log its cache hit and miss ratios

- perhaps a benchmark case to run to see the performance issues would be helpful

- JimmyV asked about turning the machines
- Do we have tuning / performance optimization advice?
- park that for now

- We hope to have PSP aspect of Grouper 2.10  frozen on Feb. 22
- trying to have Grouper 2.10 (which is essentially the release candidate) ready in Feb.

[AI]  (TomZ and Emily) will update the documentation to reflect the terminology change from LDAPPC-NG to PSP
Other issues for Grouper 2.1:

- Chris needs to change the UI so it's possible to specify in the lite UI what subjects look like
- Chris will work on web services for  the attribute framework and permissions if there is time

Code freeze is 22 - Feb- 2012

Release steps

- Chris: we need to commit the new subject Jar
- TomZ: there is another null pointer exception bug fix… issue of No UID
- Jim will help with that

- Chris will check the steps in the MISC sectionhttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Release+steps

- TomB will discuss with Rachana the security review procedures

- Database testing will be done as usual

- Shilen will do upgrade instructions
- Chris will work on change log

- Quickstart has been deprecated in favor of Grouper Installer

- Emily has already updated the wiki doc, changing references to Quickstart to refer to the Grouper Installer.
- Emily will double-check that this is done everywhere. (Release Steps page needs updating in this regard)

- JUnit tests  will be done as usual
- WS Samples and Java Docs - Chris will handle
- Packaging and Releasing has some changes related to PSP

- [AI] TomZ will add the new steps relating to PSP to the release steps page

Archiving the wiki doc for older Releases

- Do we have an acceptable habit about how to version the wiki doc?
- what about for cases where people need doc of older versions ?

- we don't have SVN managing the wiki pages for us

- Chris: if we have multiple versions of doc (one for each version)  it becomes hard to manage, confusing
- don't try to force an SVN-like framework

The best practice is to keep a PDF snapshot of older wiki doc at:

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Archives

- Last archived doc is for Grouper 1.4.2

[AI] (SteveO) will create the archive PDF of Grouper 2.0, and will email the Grouper-core list to ask people not to edit the wiki while the PDF is being created.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Archives

Everything under Grouper Guides section of the Grouper wiki should be archived   

Atlassian Interface Issue

Atlassian puled the interface we used for groups and users.
They confirmed there is no other java interface to use.
However Atlassian says it's possible to edit the SQL tables

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-02/msg00039.html

[AI] (Chris) will update the Grouper-Users list about developments impacting the Grouper Atlassian connector and also update the wiki page:https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Atlassian+connector

Log File Rotation Issue

- Chris report an issue where the log file configuration history was set to 1
-  After 1 meg of logs it would delete
- Chris suggests  setting that default to a larger number than 1

-TomZ supports a different approach, which is rolling log files per day, and changing the filenames to match the date
- This approach means no size limit for a particular day

- JimF likes the rolling log files per day approach
- Shilen liked the way Chris suggested, increasing the default
- Lynn says PSU is set to do rolling log files per day.
- Decision is to go with the rolling log files per day approach

Next Call: Wed. 29-Feb-2012 at noon ET

  • No labels