Child pages
  • Grouper Call 11-Apr-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper call 11-April-2012

Attending

Tom Barton, U. Chicago (Chair)
Steven Carmody, Brown
Jeff McCullough, U.C. Berkeley  
Chris Hyzer, Penn
Shilen Patel, Duke
Tom Zeller, Unicon
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

*New Action Items*

[AI] (TomB) will email the Grouper-users list to solicit 1) contributions
to the UI requirements table and 2) screenshots or mockups of Grouper UIs (DONE)

[AI]  (All) review the Grouper roadmap to be sure it is up to datehttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

[AI] (Shilen) review and edit the wiki on :
- Getting Ready for Production with Grouper
and
- Notifications / Change Log  (to be sure the intro provides an accurate,
helpful overview)

[AI] (Emily) Initiate an overall Grouper Features table with brief
descriptions and links to documentation

[AI] (TomZ) will look into representing/provisioning role/perm info: how
should it be "provisioned"? Or should all consumers call back into
Grouper?

*Carry Over Action Items*

[AI] (TomZ) will put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP
source.

[AI] (TomZ) will review the Grouper LDAP Loader doc and provide feedback
to Chris, possibly with lessons learned from LDAPPC work.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Loader+LDAP

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the
Continuous Integration Environment.

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the
Grouper Users List.

DISCUSSION

Grouper UI Redesign Planning

- UI Planning -- users should put their requirements into the wiki at the requests table here:

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

- Hope is to have end of May as transition from gathering requirements into implementation
- Around June 1, we would look at the requirements we have received, prioritize, decide what to do about them
- and to start development on the new UI in late June or July

Gathering community input to the Grouper UI planning is a priority.

[AI] (TomB) will email the Grouper-users list to solicit 1) contributions
to the UI requirements table and 2) screenshots or mockups of Grouper UIs (DONE)

Q: Should we focus on the underlying web services infrastructure so sites can develop their own UI?
A: When we review all the requirements, we may say some of these requirements should be done on a deployment level.

On getting people involved and willing to contribute:
- Throwing out open ended questions, can result in silence.
- it's good to put a range of examples (even extreme and provocative) in front of people
- then people will say I like this better than others
- Suggestion to show sample screens from existing deployments

Q;  Should we build time for design review into the schedule, to get review from UI experts?
A: yes, we will do that at various times thru the development cycle

- Jeff: UC Berkeley has people who could provide some time to the Grouper UI project
- Jeff will circulate Grouper UI messages to the right people at Berkeley and get them clued in.

Face-to-Face at SMM

The agenda is found at https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/SMM+2012+Grouper+WG+Draft+Agenda

[AI]  (All) review the Grouper roadmap to be sure it is up to datehttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

Grouper Documentation Improvements

In response to input from Lynn, Emily started a new page on Getting Ready for Production.
Would like the dev team to review and improve this page.
Also the doc on provisioning could use some greater clarification.

[AI] (Shilen) review and edit the wiki on :
- Getting Ready for Production with Grouper
and
- Notifications / Change Log  (to be sure the intro provides an accurate,
helpful overview)

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Getting+Ready+for+Production+with+Grouperhttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Notifications+%28change+log%29

Jeff noted that the documentation wiki
 -contains a lot of good information, but at times it can be hard.
 -better info on putting Grouper into production would be helpful

Suggestion: develop a table to show all the different Grouper  features, to more quickly tell people what's there and why they might care about it

[AI] (Emily) Initiate an overall Grouper Features table with brief
descriptions and links to documentation

Possibly also review the organization of the Admin Guides page. Is the info structured in the best way? Should things be "chopped up" differently?https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Administration+Guides

Service Tags

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Organizing+services+in+Grouper

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-dev/2012-04/msg00006.html

Chris suggested: Allow attributes to be assign to attribute names (and assignments on attribute names).  
So you can assign tags to a service and then assign metadata

Q: What is the concrete use case?

A:
Use case 1: You want to look at registry from point of view of everything that bears on a service
Use case 2:  A permission is an attribute and you want metadata about the permission

====

- Agreed to get rid of Grouper privileges interfaces.  
- The priv interfaces have been an experiment for 6 years, but there is  no need
- Instead, require provisioning into the Grouper membership table.

===

- Agreed to implement the stem set table. This will be a table that links
a stem with its ancestors.
-  Shilen will work on this.

Representing Role and Permission Info

[AI] (TomZ) will look into representing/provisioning role/permission info: how
should it be "provisioned"? Or should all consumers call back into
Grouper?

====

Next Grouper Call: Wed. 9-May-2012 at noon ET

  • No labels