Child pages
  • Grouper Call 1-Feb-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper Call 1-Feb-2012

Attending

Tom Barton, U. Chicago, Chair
Gary Brown, Bristol
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Tom Zeller, Unicon
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Lynn Garrison, PSU
Steve Olshansky, Internet2  
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)  

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen, TomZ, and TomB) will add content to the Gartner survey (DONE)

[AI] (TomZ, Chris, and Jim) will coordinate the private pre-release for Grouper 2.1 to facilitate testing of LDAPPC-NG real time (and possibly testing of other features)

[AI] (Emily) update the release steps wiki page to reflect decisions about the release process

[AI] (Shilen) will do performance benchmarking on Grouper 2.1

[AI] (Emily) review Grouper survey data to determine if there are people with whom to follow up regarding the UI

[AI] (TomB and Emily) will outline a plan for getting community input to the new Grouper UI

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Mike) will review and contribute to the Grouper UI Planning wiki pagehttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

[AI] (Shilen) will review and contribute to the Grouper UI Planning wiki page

[AI] (Jim) will email the grouper-users list soliciting input on JNDI source adapter work.  

 [AI] (TomZ) will put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source  

[AI] (TomZ) will review Jira issues for the next release and ensure they are properly fleshed out and reflect priorities.

[AI] (TomZ) will review the Grouper LDAP Loader doc and provide feedback to Chris, possibly with lessons learned from LDAPPC work.https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Loader+LDAP

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

DISCUSSION

Gartner Survey

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Gartner+Survey

- Thanks to Chris who added data to the Gartner Survey
- Need to complete the survey by Friday
[AI] (Shilen, TomZ, and TomB) will add content to the Gartner survey

Q: Should we add some of the features/capabilities asked about on the survey as new Grouper requirements?

- such as ability to disable a group?
- possibly that's already a JIRA
- TomB: It's most important to be responsive to community needs as we prioritize new Grouper features
- Chris noted that Attestation was mentioned on the Gartner survey and also is something that has been requested by the communityhttps://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2011-05/msg00018.html

LDAPPC NG Real Time Provisioning status

- TomZ: to facilitate testing of LDAPPC NG, it would be good for the testing sites to have the Grouper 2.1 release
- Possible testers include PSU, UW-Madison and Peter Schober of Vienna University
- Give the testing sites a release candidate version of Grouper 2.1?
- Can't have an "RC" in our versioning system
- Will "unicast" a private pre-release to the 3 institutions  
- Would be good to include Jim's LDAP config. changes in the private pre-release
- Jim hopes to have changes ready by Friday
- Aim for Monday to have all bits in place for the private pre-release of Grouper 2.1

[AI] (TomZ, Chris, and Jim) will coordinate the private pre-release for Grouper 2.1 to facilitate testing of LDAPPC-NG real time (and possibly testing of other features)

Release of Grouper 2.1

- Official release of Grouper 2.1 is targeted for mid-February

[AI] (Shilen) will do performance benchmarking on Grouper 2.1

- Jim will try to have the JNDI work ready for the  Grouper 2.1 release
- Chris wants to finish Grouper WS high availability work
- and add web services for managing attributes and permissions
- Shilen needs to do additional testing of features he has committed

- how shall we test this Grouper 2.1 release?
- since our system does not allow "RC" releases
- how do we give the community something to test before its released?
- there is a MAVEN way to do this, using "snapshots", but it will be hard to implement given our environment (most of the Grouper build would need to be changed)

- From the Grouper 2.1 release, PSU plans to do comprehensive testing, since they will have the private pre-release

- Plan is that for upcoming releases, the X.X.0 release will be considered a pre-release, like a Release Candidate
- That will be the testing release
- The X.X.1 release will be the actual release

TomZ : would be good if you could drop the X.X.1 jars into a X.X.0 installation and it works

Need to put this change in the upgrade steps wiki page
[AI] (Emily) update the release steps wiki page to reflect decisions about the release process

- Target is Friday Feb 22 to get Grouper 2.1.1 released

=====

UI Redesign - Objectives & Process

https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

Issues to keep in mind:

- Define what kind of customization the new UI will support
- Accessibility
- Should we solicit external assistance from User Experience Experts?
- Yes, we should have as an objective to incorporate substantial community work
- We also need to get functional requirements from the community
- refine the gap analysis so we are sure to address the community's needs
- Chris knows some of the UI complaints from Penn

[AI] (Emily) review Grouper survey data to determine if there are people with whom to follow up regarding the UI

[AI] (TomB and Emily) will outline a plan for getting community input to the new UI
- Chris: should we think of the UI redesign as a phased project and try to get 1st phase done in a year?
-  How do you have a phased UI?
- Could have a combo of new and old

Grouper Online Training Project

The Grouper Online Training Development Project is moving along, with a focus on creating chunked/modular training videos.

Next Call: Wed. 15-Feb-2012 at noon ET

  • No labels