Child pages
  • PRECONF2013-10-02
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Notes: CAMP Pre-Conference Planning Call of Weds. Oct 2, 2013

Attending: Renee Shuey, Nathan Dors, Steve Thorpe, Emily Eisbruch

Title is:  Getting Started with Federated Identity Management
Wed Nov 13. , 1:30 pm – 5:00pm

Public Site: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/CAMP2013/Getting+Started+with+Federated+Identity+Management

Planning wiki: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/CAMP2013/CAMP+Pre+Conference

Roster:http://www.incommon.org/idweek/rosters/precamp.cfm

ACTION ITEMS

[AI] (Emily) ask the CAMP program committee what Gap Analysis Tool they will use on Thursday morning at CAMP (for Track #1)

DISCUSSION

-32 people enrolled to date
-A good mix of people; some are more seasoned than others

The public site state that the Pre-Conference will provide
Introductory knowledge of identity management and federation
Security implications of IdM and federated IdM
A gap analysis specific to your campus
An introduction to InCommon and how to get starte
Roles for the Faculty

-Renee will moderate.

Introductory knowledge of identity management and federation - NATHAN

    - Provide a high-level view of IAM
     -setting up the credentials that are used for federation
     -briefly mention account registration
    - Talk about what federation means (mention that Steve  is going to cover that more)

Security implications of IdM and federated IdM – JaneMarie?

Security can be a complex topic. If JaneMarie does not want to cover it, we can touch on security lightly in the other segments.

- Possibly use Jim Basney's security policy experience for this segment?

Gap analysis specific to your campus

Need  to find out what Gap Analysis Tool will be used on Thurs. morning at CAMP as part of Track #1. Do not want to duplicate.

[AI] (Emily} ask the CAMP program committee what Gap Analysis Tool they will use on Thursday at CAMP

An introduction to InCommon and how to get started – STEVE

    -Steve can share how MCNC interacts with InCommon
    - Steve has materials that might be useful linked from https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/CAMP2013/CAMP+Pre+Conference

  -Mention that InCommon provides services like the Certificate Service
    -MCNC does not use it, but it could be useful to attendees' institutions
   -John Krienke can provide info on the Cert Service

    -Touch on the the R&S category

     - Touch on conversations with vendors
      -How to do arm twisting that may be required to get vendors into InCommon
      -PSU has language in contacts to force cloud service vendors to join InCommon

Format

It would be helpful to share use cases to the extent possible. Find ways to  bring people into the conversation. Don't want to have a series of half hour lectures. Should have some breakout sessions for interaction

Perhaps a 30 minutes "lecture" and then a 10 minute breakout to discuss?

We can point to some of the more experienced people (like MichaelG from CMU) for a use case.
Station an "expert" at each table (Tom Scavo, Michael G, Nate Klingenstein).
Have 5-10 minute presentations from others in the audience to get different perspectives

Q: What about social identities?
A: May be too much of an advanced topic, will be covered at CAMP, but we could mention is in passing as a topic that will eventually come up.

-Talk a bit about Shibboleth
-Talk about bit about the Assurance Program

Logistics

Room Set-Up

Room will be set up with projector setup, podium, podium mic, some power for attendees.  
-Seating will be crescent rounds (Emily confirmed this with Marie after the Oct. 2 call.)
-Do we want a head table? (need to decide at next call)

Afternoon Break

There will be a break scheduled half way through the afternoon.
 Break currently set for 3:00-3:30 pm and we can amend at some point .

Next Call: Wed. Oct 9 at 4pm ET, if this works for JaneMarie.

  • No labels