Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  

 

CACTI call of April 30, 2019

Attending

Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
  • Tom Barton, University of Chicago
  • Rob Carter, Duke
  • Jessica Coltrin, Portland State University, liaison from InCommon TAC
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech   
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College  
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT  


Internet2

  • Kevin Morooney  
  • Ann West  
  • Nick Roy
  • Emily Eisbruch


Regrets

  • Marina Adomeit, GEANT
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  
  • Tom Jordan, University of Wisc - Madison   
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College
  • Steve Zoppi, Internet2   

Action Items

  • [AI] CACTI members please complete the REFEDs Federation Strategy survey https://forms.gle/MdZM3FXN6nsj7Krn8
  • [AI] Nick will add to the eduroam TAC charter an explanation of the need for this eduroam TAC

Discussion

Pre-Reads

  1. Review the REFEDS 2.0 survey just announced:  https://forms.gle/MdZM3FXN6nsj7Krn8

Reminders/longer term

  1. Slide deck for value proposition for research for the Trusted Access Platform (Jill and Ann)

Agenda

  1. Administrivia
    1. Please say your name when you start to speak, until we learn each others' voices
    2. Please ask colleagues to define terms, expand acronyms, etc, until we learn each others' jargon.
    3. It's ok to challenge your colleagues in pursuit of quality of discourse. Hopefully in a nice way.
    1. Intellectual Property reminder  https://www.internet2.edu/policies/intellectual-property-framework/
    2. Agreements:


Main Business

  1. Update on REFEDS Federation 2.0 - overview and discussion (Tom B  )
    • Tom and Judith to share where the REFEDS Federation 2.0 conversation is at and the survey that has been posted at: https://forms.gle/MdZM3FXN6nsj7Krn8
    • Step back and reassess if something we are doing should be changed
    • Looking at the value of the work we do
    • Looking at how it fits in R&E and teaching and learning
    • Getting data and input from a wide audience
    • Thursday at TNC there will be a day long F2F meeting, facilitated by Lucy Lynch https://tnc19.geant.org/
    • Now collecting data via a survey on people’s perspectives on research and scholarship and what’s important
    • There’s an option to have a conversation rather than completing a survey
    • Sometimes tying that to what we do
    • Analysis of data will happen before the TNC F2F https://tnc19.geant.org/
    • Creating scenarios to inform last phase
    • Using lenses and four possible futures
    • Creating gap analysis for each of four possible future scenarios
    • Then findings and outreach
    • This Federation 2.0 work focus on a 20 year time frame
    • (Comparison to CACTI’s work which is on a shorter time frame)
    • comment: the survey approach of asking about constraints and roadblocks and strategies seems promising
    • [AI] CACTI members please complete the REFEDs Federation Strategy survey https://forms.gle/MdZM3FXN6nsj7Krn8
    • Ann and Tom will work together to forward the survey to the corporate sponsored partners
    • May 10 is the deadline for completing the survey

  2. Outreach and awareness: (Chris)
    • Common Solutions Group is a group of CIOs and CTOs from campuses with  intense research agendas. Highly engaged group.
    • Kevin Morooney : presentation to the T&I Program Advisory Group went well.  Was well received.
    • Important for PAG to understand that requirements are coming our way that will be baked into work streams.
    • This will impact resource allocation.  
    • ChrisP is invited to the InCommon Steering meeting upcoming next week to present an overview of CACTI’s FIM4R work.
    • AnnW, TomB, Kevin, will be running a half day workshop at Common Solutions Group on a Thursday in middle of May on supporting research virtual collaborations at your institution.
    • Dana Brunson, Internet2 Executive Director  for Research Engagement , https://www.internet2.edu/blogs/detail/16997 is getting up to speed on the FIM4R work and will become an advocate
    • Christos: there is more coordination around meeting researcher needs coming out of  the federation side with InCommon versus the landscape in Europe
    • CACTI FIM4R report was presented at T&I Program Advisory Group (PAG)
    • The National Research  Platform workshop will be co-located with the #NSF PI workshop and the Quilt meeting – anyone from CACTI attending?
    • TomB is interested in attending National Research  Platform meeting, but has a conflict
    • DanaB will be attending
    • National Research  Platform meeting in Sept 2019: https://www.internet2.edu/blogs/detail/17116


Status Updates

  1. eduroam-US TAC charter(Mike Z, Rob C, Nick R)
    • Nick started with InCommon TAC charter to create this new eduroam charter . Comments are welcome. Interested in CACTI thoughts about the type of people we want to recruit. TAC has recently focused on service providers and commercial partners such as Unicon.
    • Question on how this eduroam TAC will “report up”
    • AI Nick will add to the eduroam TAC charter an explanation of the need for this eduroam TAC
    • Nick will research whether there are counterparts to this eduroam TAC in other regions/continents
    • ChrisP says yes in European CON federation, there is one document and one group and a lot of governance. Good example of being very specific about service.  103 countries involved. Latin CON federation
    • Chris will provide  a link for the above
    • Question of whether North American eduroam should follow the framework of the CONs
    • Heterogeneity of practice should be kept in mind
    • Suggestion to move the word “TAC” towards front
    • Important to be sure we are prepared for security attacks, weather events, and other scenarios
  2. Close-out of MACE-DIR transition to REFEDS
    1. URN registry transfer
    2. Keith H has sent notice of MACE-DIR list telling people to move discussions to the REFEDS schema list, then mark the list as fully moderated, auto-reply should direct people to new list as of May 5th.

Topics being tracked

  • infrastructure, services to end users, software dev, infrastructure as a service, and outreach and education
  • Focus of conversation: to identify high priority items/quick wins in the above areas
  • Build on last meeting's outcomes focusing on the 5 areas we highlighted 
  • Continue prioritizing CACTI FIM4R recommendations (Chris/Jill)

  • Web authentication (Fido/W3C Webauthn) (Rob in the next month or so)
  • ID Pro (Chris has next touch point April 30), will report back on next CACTI call


  • RA21 Status https://ra21.org/ - There was a offer for people to try it out in pre-pilot. Could be best to wait.


Next Call: Tuesday, May 14, 2019